PDA

View Full Version : Tree glow

John Fontana
02-07-2008, 01:46 PM
This was taken on Ilkley Moor here in Yorkshire in the UK on a cold, windy and sunny day last week, using a Zero Image 5x4, equivalent to 75 mm focal length, with zoneplate. The film stock was HP5+.
The image was processed in Photoshop to give a lith effect, with just a little dodging and burning to enhance the feeling of light, by painting in black or white on a layer above the background image, filled with 50% gray and set to a soft light blending mode. Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/glowingtreesweb_867.gif (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/glowingtreesweb_867.gif)

Laura_Campbell
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I like the balance here between the trees positioned back and upward, and the earth spilling down and forward to the bottom of the composition. It has a wonderful dramatic effect especially with the soft focus of the zone plate. I also like the bright light coming in through the two trees in the middle of the image. One wants to look through the trees to see what lies beyond. The image color compliments the earth and trees. The Zero45 is a great camera. I have one too! -- Laura

John Fontana
02-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Thanks for your comments, Laura. It is very interesting that the points on which you comment are exactly what were in my head at the time of exposure.
Yes, the Zero Image is a joy to use. I still haven't lost the pleasure of fiddling with rubber bands in an age of high photographic technology!

Laura_Campbell
02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Yes, the Zero Image is a joy to use. I still haven't lost the pleasure of fiddling with rubber bands in an age of high photographic technology!
Yes, Zero45 = Bliss. I feel happy every time I put the camera together! I must confess though, I'm getting into some "high tech" experiments with my Z45. I discovered my 4x5 Graflok back is compatible with the Z45. Using the zone plate at 75mm it was bright enough to view a scene, though there was some fallout around the edges. I kept it low-tech though, using only two rubber bands to secure the back. I was a little nervous that one might snap under the dark cloth so it might be advisable to change out the rubber bands more frequently under these conditions.... ;) Laura