PDA

View Full Version : Underwood

JoeVanCleave
06-09-2008, 04:56 PM
This scene is from my office. I write frequently on this Underwood Universal; I also use a Royal Mercury, perhaps the subject of another post.

30 second exposure on preflashed grade 2 paper negative, binocular lens stopped down to F/8, 5" x 7" nested box camera. Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/underwood001a_9656.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/underwood001a_9656.jpg)

moot
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
The camera's really working well, Joe. Looks to be fully light-tight, and that lens has some great character.

It wasn't that long ago that I occasionally used an IBM Selectric, but I can't imagine using such a beast as that Underwood. I haven't used something like that since my mom's old manual, and that was back in the 60's.

JoeVanCleave
06-10-2008, 01:08 AM
The camera's really working well, Joe. Looks to be fully light-tight, and that lens has some great character.

It wasn't that long ago that I occasionally used an IBM Selectric, but I can't imagine using such a beast as that Underwood. I haven't used something like that since my mom's old manual, and that was back in the 60's.

Thanks, Moot. I have a few other sets of lenses that I'm toying with converting to makeshift camera lenses, but I keep coming back to this binocular lens for having such great bokeh. For instance, I have another pair of lenses that would work, but the out-of-focus specular highlights form a disc where most of the light is near the edge of the circle, so it resembles the poor bokeh of a catadioptic mirror lens (i.e. donut-shaped circles of confusion.) Whereas with this lens, as you can see, the circle of confusion gradually and gently fades from a central highlight to a smooth transition at the edge. I'm told that spherical abberation and astigmatism both serve to give a lens good bokeh. This one has it to the extreme.

Regarding the typewriter, I love manuals. Used to have an Adler (just a few years ago - it was the subject of a paper negative test shot using an old Polaroid model 800 camera posted here a few years ago) but I traded it for this Underwood. It types nice, and it's not that loud. Best of all: it's cordless! I plan on taking it with me on a road trip this summer during my sabattical from work, which I'm starting now (after foot surgery Wednesday.)

~Joe

antbiker
12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Lovely composition here & the area in sharp focus has real 'snap' to it. Great photography Joe.

earlj
12-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Nice work, Joe. You are going to attract me over to the dark side one of these days , , , ,