PDA

View Full Version : Durst M600 enlarger lens board

dracblau
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I recently bought a Durst M600 enlarger for what I thought was a great price ($25) until I realized that the very important lens board was missing :(.

Since this group has a great deal of do-it-yourselfers I was wondering if anyone has ever tried making their own lens board from scratch. Do you have any suggestions on how I would go about it? The lens boards for this enlarger are pretty expensive but I will buy one if I have to, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The lens board is supposed to be round and saucer shaped.

Also, what enlarger lens would you recommend if I want to enlarge both 35mm and 6x6?

Thanks,
Alex

taco
09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
I recently bought a Durst M600 enlarger for what I thought was a great price ($25) until I realized that the very important lens board was missing :(.

Since this group has a great deal of do-it-yourselfers I was wondering if anyone has ever tried making their own lens board from scratch. Do you have any suggestions on how I would go about it? The lens boards for this enlarger are pretty expensive but I will buy one if I have to, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The lens board is supposed to be round and saucer shaped.

Also, what enlarger lens would you recommend if I want to enlarge both 35mm and 6x6?

Thanks,
Alex

If I am not to wrong, the Polish company Krokus sold in the times of the cold war an enlarger mounted with a M42 thread as lens board. Was very useful with all normal M42 macro lenses but I doubt if this idea will work for 6x6

cnmne
09-27-2008, 09:34 AM
The choice of lens depends on the size of the negative you want to enlarge and the size of the prints you make. For 35mm negative the usual choice of lens is around 50mm. However, to cover 6x6, you will need a 75mm or 80mm lens, which will limit the size of print you can make from 35mm negs. (I think there may be 60mm lenses that covers 6x6.) The best lenses are six element types -- EL-Nikkor, Schneider Componon, and Rodenstock Rodagon. You should be able to get a good used one pretty cheaply.

I think the Durst lens board is cup-shaped to get a 50mm lens close enough to the negative to make a big print. With an 80mm lens you might be able to use a flat board which wouldn't be too difficult to make out of wood, plastic, or even thick cardboard. I'd try one from cardboard as a test.

Billc
09-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I made one to fit a 30mm lens that needed to be closer to the negative than the flat board. I used a ABS pipe fitting and turned the tapered part in my wood lathe. The flat lens board is 2 3/4" diameter and about 1/4" thick. The outside rim is tapered at about 45 degrees for about 3/16". The way that it mounts with the spring loaded catch I would think that close would count. Press board or black foam core should work. I have used
O rings to hold the threads of the lens on the back of the board with good results. Paint it black and try it.

Bill

dracblau
10-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies and tips.

Alex

eli griggs
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
I know this is an older thread but I'll jump in anyway.

Alex, the M600 does film up to 6x6 so you don't need a new enlarger. Lens boards are avaliable from time to time on eBay.

Cheers, Eli