PDA

View Full Version : Buying commercial pinhole cameras

doc1213
12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
As an avid pinholer, I am also an inveterate collector. I purchased 3 cameras from Zero image and have been incredibly pleased with their ease of use and engineering. On the other hand, I purchased two 6x6's and and a120 multiformat (both so-called customs) from two other individuals and have found that they lack the engineering and ease of use of the Zero's... My point is simple. If you want a good user, buy from Zero who has put a lot of thought into his cameras. If you like pretty (and unusable out of the box) buy from people with no reputation. Zernike has proved that his designs are superior and I for one, will never buy a roll film camera from an "independent again.

>>post altered by moderator 12/30/2008 9:07pm EST

JoeVanCleave
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I've been thinking about this thread, while making guacamole for guests (lots of red chile powder, cayenne pepper, salsa, sour cream, black pepper, garlic salt, along with avacadoes) -- but I digress -- I've been lurking on DPReview's website, noting the decidedly different forum culture there as opposed to the more civil air here on F295; but they do provide lots of technical camera reviews.

Perhaps we need someone -- or a group of folks -- to each do an objective review of their commercially made camera purchases, and associated experience. Maybe Tom could provide us guidelines, in the form of a template, to keep the reviews objective, thorough and focused.

~Joe

Tom Persinger
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
After receiving several 'reporting thread' PMs (w/ supporting data) this thread has been altered and locked so it doesn't get any more heated.

Joe has a good suggestion that I'll follow up on after the new year. I'd love to see some objective reviews done of all the great cameras. I'll be reaching out to some F295 members to help with this effort and to help standardize a template for the work.

Thanks Joe!
Tom