PDA

View Full Version : 8X10 Photo Paper Suggestions

bffilms
02-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I need some suggestions on 8X10 photo paper. I'm new to this and I would like something that will give me a good contrast and high grain effect. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

monophoto
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Bob,

Are you asking about paper for use as a negative or for printing onto? If the former, contrast will be the last of your worries. Photo paper will be overly contrasty in most situations and you will need to control this using preflashing (search this forum for suggestions on how to do this). My preference is for Ilford Multigrade RC paper. A smoother finish for scanning is obtained with glossy finish but this may cause unexpected reflections if the film plane of your camera is curved (though you may like this effect!). I find satin or lustre finish perfect as this does add a texture to the areas of open tone - again this is a bit variable with the inevitable pinhole unpredictability.

Regarding paper for printing, rather than the paper used, the quality of your negative and the degree of enlargement will govern how grainy the result. As for the elusive notion of "quality", beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder and I suggest you experiment with various papers to find what pleases you. Personally, I prefer fibre-based papers as the depth of blacks is so much richer than resin-coated papers.

i hope that helps somewhat but without a more specific question it is hard to give a very detailed answer.

giorgiospugnesi
03-11-2009, 06:28 AM
I used Kraus Positive Paper. It rates ISO 2. It's very contrasted. But I prefer Ilford Multigrade. If you want, you can use Multicontrast Filter to reduce/increase contrast.

Giorgio