View Full Version : No more fungus in Part A...

08-30-2009, 05:07 PM
As I am inept at fishing out the fungus that grows on my Part A mix, always ending up with 'threads' across my images when I coat them, I have investigated remedies.

After 3 weeks, my latest batch of Part A has the usual white floaters on it, but at the time of mixing I decanted off 20ml and added 1ml of Listerene mouthwash and it is still crystal clear!

As a test I used the listerene batch for an image today and it works fine still. The added advantage is that if I am doing a sequence of images, the pipette I use for part A stinks of mouthwash and therefore I can identify which pipette is which and avoid cross-contamination of parts A and B.

Unfortunately I never did like the taste of Listerene and a 250ml bottle will last me rather a long time if it is only for preserving my Part A!


12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Is this still working for you?

12-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Works like a dream! I have let one small bottle stand since late July and it is still clear and working fine.

Best regards,


09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I've started using this idea, and I LOVE it. It makes it easy peasy to tell which solution bottle you're holding (can be hard when they're all dark glass in a dark room!), and it doesn't negatively affect your images at all.

Much <3 for this idea!


09-28-2010, 02:53 PM

The test bottle has sat for just over a year now without growing fungus; it still made a good print last month too.

Best regards,


11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I am just starting with cyanotype and I mixed up my first batch of chemicals last night and I'm trying this out. Thanks for the tip. Now I have a few test exposures going on in my kitchen window right now and I'm learning how to properly expose the paper. This method is just too much fun. :)