PDA

View Full Version : Using 4 x 5 film holders

tinman
04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I started using film holders for my pinhole, but am having a devil of a time sliding the cover over my paper negative. I've already wasted one shot, when the cover slid under the exposed paper--unbeknownst to me--and trying it again last night (with an exposed photo) I still couldn't do it. I'm using Lisco and Regal II film holders.
Does anyone have any tips on making this process more foolproof?
Also, will I have the same problems using negative film?
Thanks.

ElrodCod
04-27-2005, 12:10 PM
tinman,
* There are two grooves in a filmholder; one for the darkslide & one for the film. If your darkslide slid under the paper then *you're putting the paper in the wrong *groove. Next time leave the slide in the holder and only pull it far enough to unlock the bottom of the holder. That way you won't be able to put the paper (or neg) in the darkslide groove by mistake. It may also help you to load the holders if you use a nail clipper to slightly round the corners of the paper. Let us know how you make out.

Gary

tinman
04-27-2005, 12:35 PM
So, you're saying that the negative should be flush with the backing, whereas the darkslide goes in the grooves?
That way, could I load the neg from the bottom?
I'll try both tonight.
Thanks.

ElrodCod
04-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Tinman,
* * The holder is supposed to be loaded from the bottom. Pull the slide out about 1" and flip the bottom part of the frame outwards. You'll see another flange under the slide. The negative goes under that and lies against the holder core. It's fairly easy to do if your loading paper negs under a safelight. It'll take a little practice to do with film in the dark. Thats why clipping the corners helps.

Gary

ElrodCod
04-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Tinman,
* Here's a link that you'll find helpful. http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

tinman
04-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Um, oops. Damn this auto-didactic streak of mine. Thanks for everything.

ElrodCod
04-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Tinman,
* Here's a link that you'll find helpful. http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

You're very welcome to the info and the forum as well! You're not the first to struggle with filmholders & I doubt that you'll be the last. If you have any other questions about pinholin' you've come to the right place. We're a friendly bunch & I think you'll like it here.

Gary

tinman
04-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Day after, seems to have worked.
I was cutting my paper too wide; once I reduced it to 4" (instead of 4.25 or whatever) and loaded it from the bottom, everything worked fine.
Thanks.

ElrodCod
04-28-2005, 06:36 PM
* Tinman,
* * I'm pretty sure that 4x5 sheetfilm is actually slightly less then that. It's more like 100mm X 126mm. Even that won't work if you load it from the top. ;)

Gary

ImageMaker
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Correct, ElrodCod -- 4x5 sheet film is actually 100x125 mm, give or take 1 mm in each direction. The original glass plates were 4" x 5", 101x127 mm, but film is smaller to allow for use of a film sheath in a glass plate sized holder.

John Bartley
04-28-2005, 09:43 PM
When I first started loading 4x5 film holders, I followed a set of instructions that told me to remove the dark slides. The first few I did, I had trouble with getting the film in the wrong grooves.
Then I started (as suggested already) only removing the dark slide "just" far enough to swing open the light trap - never had another problem