PDA

View Full Version : Smith Ave High Bridge

earlj
09-22-2010, 05:06 PM
This past weekend I printed this image using Mike Ware's argyrotype process: http://www.mikeware.co.uk/mikeware/Argyrotype_Process.html. It isn't technically a kallitype, but this is the category that it is closest to. Even though argyrotype sensitizer is available pre-mixed, I mixed up this batch myself using sulfamic acid that I purchased at one of the big box home improvement stores (it is used as a grout cleaner on tile floors). I precipitated the silver oxide by mixing sodium hydroxide and silver nitrate, as Mike describes in his article. The process is very user-friendly once the sensitizer is in hand - I think that it is similar to platinum-palladium in ease of use, without the cost.

image captured March 8, 2010
8x10 - 120 mm plywood camera
.400 mm ems aperture, f300
1 minute 11 seconds exposure
Efke PL100 film
HC 110 dilution H, 13 minutes @ 65 F
printed on Weston Diploma Parchment Plat-Pal
sensitizer coated with a glass rod
contact print from in-camera negative with no corrections or alterations
exposed on Nuarc FT26V3UPNS plate burner
washed and fixed only - no toning Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/highbridgeargyrotype_9157.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/highbridgeargyrotype_9157.jpg)

JoeVanCleave
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
This is a great image, Earl, and I love the color tone. This must be very satisfying to create your own prints from scratch.

~Joe

earlj
09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Thank you, Joe. There is a lot of satisfaction in creating a print from scratch. This printing session produced an unexpected result: after I matted the prints (3 of them for the f295 summer print exchange, and one for myself) i had to step back and admire a beautiful object. This is what has been missing from my six years of pinhole work - the photograph as object. There is an element of craft in my art that must present itself for me to be satisfied. The people who look at my scans from the negative on this site can appreciate my camera building skill, or my ability to judge exposure and development, but my sister or my oncologist or my co-workers can only really appreciate a beautiful object. I am finally creating objects that can be held in the hand that communicate my intentions to the viewer. The fact that the print was made by my two hands may not be important to the viewer, but it is important to me. And if the object does not speak to the viewer, then I don't care how pure my intentions were, my craft did not measure up.

By the way, alt-process prints are incredibly hard to scan. As you probably already suspect, the image on the screen is not as good as the print in the hand.

jon.oman
09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I would really like to see the 'live' print! I would also like to try the process as well.

Jon

DRC
10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Wow, this is great Earl. I need to get in your print exchange group some time!

This also looks like yet another process to add to the "to learn" list that's always growing.