PDA

View Full Version : filters

griffphoto
10-18-2010, 09:53 PM
- I want to use a neutral-density filter to get slower exposure times and was going to use wratten filters, cut down to fit between the pinhole and the film plane. I always placed my filters behind the lens when I shot 4x5, so this seemed like a good idea. It's an 8 Banners mb camera. Any thoughts?

earlj
10-18-2010, 10:29 PM
The only problem with filters behind the pinhole is that any spec of dust will be seen on the image. If everything is perfectly clean, it will work.

Many of the pinhole maestros on this site hold filters by hand in front of the aperture and move them around during the exposure to prevent the dust from being seen.

banana_legs
10-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I routinely use a yellow filter in front of my pinhole in order to control the paper negatives I use. I agree with Earl in that it must be spotlessly clean. In some of my cameras the filter is on the inside in an attempt to keep it clean, however I have had issues with internal reflections off the glass, so where I can I put the filter externally.

I have arranged on my cameras for the pinhole to be mounted to a thin brass plate that allows me to screw a 49mm yellow filter against a 49mm filter ring (an old one with the glass removed) with the pinhole plat trapped in between. The front of my cameras have a 49mm step-ring glued to them to accept the filter and pinhole plate. With this design approach, I can take the filter off easily to clean it and I can change the pinholes. Also having the pinhole almost touching the filter, there is less surface area of the filter that needs to be clear of dust.

Best regards,

Evan

renon
10-25-2010, 04:49 AM
Many of the pinhole maestros on this site hold filters by hand in front of the aperture and move them around during the exposure to prevent the dust from being seen.
I use this method mainly. For long time exposures (paper) I was usually too lazy and taped a gel filter in front of the pinhole.