PDA

View Full Version : Rodinal in a rotating drum

03-05-2006, 01:18 PM
The acute characteristics of "still" developement with Rodinal are often mentioned but what about other agitation methods? Are just the edge effects lost? Likewise, it seem like roll film is always mentioned, but what about sheet film in a drum or a tray?

ImageMaker
03-05-2006, 10:23 PM
You get little or no edge effects with any developer in continuous agitation (as in a drum on a motor base or similar -- and continuous agitation is required with these, because they don't use enough developer to cover the whole film). Rodinal is still an acutance developer, you just won't be taking full advantage of its strengths.

In a tray is another story; you can do anything up to full stand development (if you can exit the darkroom without letting light in, or don't mind standing in the dark for an hour or two). I've used Parodinal on 4x5 sheet film (developed in tubes with enough developer to cover, same agitation as roll film in tanks); Classic 400 looks excellent this way, and I expect to get similar results with Fomapan 100 as well.

03-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks. I have two blocks of Rodinal.