PDA

View Full Version : Another kind of Desperation

murrayatuptowngallery
03-11-2006, 12:07 PM
The cameras being hacked, sacked & stacked up here are upping the ante to a formidable level.

The way things are going, one is going to have to make a camera out of a spare kidney or something like that to impress anyone in the future!

MarkB
03-11-2006, 05:45 PM
That's nothing. I once made a camera from my own kidney, in a driving snowstorm, with only a toothbrush and duct tape for tools and materials. I fitted it onto a 126 film cartridge and used my cap for a shutter. I got the shot I wanted, but unfortunately my head got frostbite without the hat and ever since then I've never been able to distinguish fact from fantasy. ;)

Andrew
03-11-2006, 08:40 PM
could work in cold climates but your camera might get a bit whiffy here...

:X

taco
03-15-2006, 03:11 PM
That's nothing. I once made a camera from my own kidney, in a driving snowstorm, with only a toothbrush and duct tape for tools and materials. I fitted it onto a 126 film cartridge and used my cap for a shutter. I got the shot I wanted, but unfortunately my head got frostbite without the hat and ever since then I've never been able to distinguish fact from fantasy. ;)
Better from your kidney then from your liver. That's an important organ needed every day ;D

Tom Persinger
03-15-2006, 09:47 PM
how about a gall bladder cam, far as i know it's fairly *unimportant*

Andrew
03-16-2006, 02:19 AM
how about a gall bladder cam, far as i know it's fairly *unimportant*

I once had an anatomy tutor have a go at me when I told her that gall bladders weren't vital to life. What a silly twit... if you can take it out and leave hospital I'd have to agree it's "fairly unimportant" Q.E.D.

not sure about the size though... you'd probably only get 35mm film in most of 'em but you could call it something cool like cholecystocam.

How about a chest cavity, that might take 10x8 with a curved film plane and if you only used one side you'd still have the other to breath with...

ImageMaker
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
The motion of breathing will cause problems with long exposures, Andrew.

You could make a very passable medium format, possibly even 4x5 size camera from an empty skull, and it seems most teenagers have exactly that anyway... ;)

staft
03-16-2006, 01:12 PM
i have been avoiding pointing out the possibilities of a bladder cam for obvious reasons, but it would incorporate its own variable fl pinhole, and swallowing acetaminophol would allow for nifty in-camera processing. very painful to load, however...

Andrew
03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
The motion of breathing will cause problems with long exposures, Andrew.

You could make a very passable medium format, possibly even 4x5 size camera from an empty skull, and it seems most teenagers have exactly that anyway... ;)

if you have some spare oxygen to fill up on and hyperventilate before you start the exposure you can hold your breath considerably longer ;D

I think the empty cranium describes most people I know of all ages... me too for that matter :-/

very painful to load, however...

you'd be surprised what people manage to load up with... just for kicks

or rather, I hope you'd be surprised what people manage to load up with :X

murrayatuptowngallery
03-16-2006, 06:40 PM
That reminds me of an article that ran in the Chicago Reader in the mid-80's...never mind.

gneissgirl
03-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Gee, I should have had them save my appendix for me ::)

MarkB
03-16-2006, 08:25 PM
I think this thread has just about bottomed out. So I'll add this.

Thomas Bachler (google him) made photos with film in his mouth, pursing his lips to form a pinhole/shutter.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to remove an eyeball, put the film in the eye socket, and form the pinhole/shutter with the eyelid? The idea of the remaining eye as a viewfinder fascinates me. Of course there _would_ be a bit of parallax...

Andrew
03-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I think this thread has just about bottomed out...
ah, now there's an idea ....

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to remove an eyeball, put the film in the eye socket, and form the pinhole/shutter with the eyelid? The idea of the remaining eye as a viewfinder fascinates me. Of course there _would_ be a bit of parallax...
nah, just hard-wire the brain for direct image capture... no parallax at all !!!

murrayatuptowngallery
03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
A) yuk

B) That would be digital...

taco
03-17-2006, 07:14 PM
i have been avoiding pointing out the possibilities of a bladder cam for obvious reasons, but it would incorporate its own variable fl pinhole, and swallowing acetaminophol would allow for nifty in-camera processing. very painful to load, however...
No need at all swallowing acetaminophol, your on juice will do:
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/172/8/1002
:)

eternauta3k
06-04-2006, 11:43 AM
possibly even 4x5 size camera from an empty skull, and it seems most teenagers have exactly that anyway... ;)
The rest of us are making cameras ---> me

murrayatuptowngallery
06-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Now now, enough of the silverbacks pulling rank...