PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Foam

MarkB
03-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Can anyone suggest a source of sheet foam that is different from what I find in craft stores (I'm in the USA). What I _can_ obtain is about 2-3 mm thick and does not have much "give" to it. I'd like to find something similar but about twice the thickness, say 5 mm or so, and a bit softer. The foam I get now makes a pretty good light-tight gasket, but a bit thicker would work better. Any ideas? Thanks.

staft
03-12-2006, 10:46 AM
i have used an old inexpensive mousepad with the fabric peeled off (from big lots) if the application can stand that much thickness. a fabric store might be another source, and upholstery shops usually carry lots of thicknesses. let us know what you discover!

taco
03-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Go to a construction store. In Belgium they sell foam between 5 and 10 cm for insulation of houses. Must also exist in the U.S.

Tom Persinger
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
not sure of the sheet size you need, but you could use the closed cell type foam that's often used to tie flies (ant & beatle patterns, etc) that's about the right thickness and doesn't have much give... i've used weather stripping from home depot with reasonably good success (though for some applications it's just too thick and cutting it doesn't work so well - for me)

tp

ImageMaker
03-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Some craft stores carry Foamies material in multiple thicknesses; the thicker stuff will have more compression (same percentage of a larger dimension). Lots of good suggestions above, too. Another option is the white foam sheet material that's used as padding in packages; it dyes black easily enough with a permanent marker, though IMO it's less effective than Foamies. Worst case, glue up two layers of the craft foam you have with rubber cement; it'll have twise the compression as one layer, so instead of 2 mm with 1 mm compression, you'll get 4 mm with 2 mm compression, or even 6 mm with 3 mm compression.

moot
03-12-2006, 11:22 PM
One possibility is the foam sold by Micro-Tools. It's sold as light baffle and mirror cushion foam for SLRs. This link is to 3/16" (4.75mm). I'm not certain how firm it is.

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/productdetails/LB316.aspx

Another possibility would be McMaster-Carr. They have several types of sheet foam.

http://www.mcmaster.com

MarkB
03-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all for the good ideas.