PDA

View Full Version : Plate holder conversion

indian101scout
08-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Not liking the usual method for converting a film holder to a plate holder I set out to try something different. The typical conversion involves cutting through the center divider and then placing wire in the corners to support the plate. I didn't like this for a couple reasons - first, I thought it wasted some size capabilities, and second, I didn't like the look of the wire marks in the corner of the plates. I tore apart a regular 4x5 film holder to get an idea of how they are put together. From there I came up with a design based on a dry plate holder a friend lent me. It only takes a knife and dremel or small drill to complete and uses a plate that is a full 4"x5", not the usual 3.5"x4.5" the other style conversion leaves you with. There is no going through the center panel, so you have two chances to get it right. I have put up photos and instructions on my website.

http://oddlittleworld.com/4x5-plate-holder-conversion

jon.oman
08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm thinking that the plane of focus will be in the wrong place. The plate is thicker than film. Are you making adjustments to the camera to allow for this?

indian101scout
08-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Good point! I suppose I should have mentioned - I have an In Camera Industries plate holder (4x5, which takes a full 4"x5" plate) for my field camera, but it is too thick to fit in the slot for a 4x5 film holder I designed into my pinhole camera. I needed to convert a regular thickness film holder to fit in there. So, while you are technically correct, since I am using it in my pinhole cam, the difference is meaningless.

jon.oman
08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Makes sense!