PDA

View Full Version : smena 8m

Josh
03-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Not strictly an adapted process, just using the camera's downfall to my advantage.. using a smena 8m and a tripod with a pan/tilt head to make panos. The only problem is keeping the exposure even and properly stitching 'in-camera'.

Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/pano_4692.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/pano_4692.jpg)

timeruinsbelief
03-24-2006, 10:11 AM
very neat... is this movie film??

Josh
03-24-2006, 10:41 AM
plain hp5.

gneissgirl
03-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Very cool. I can imagine "in-camera stitching" is tricky because you not only have the exposure to deal with, but also scale compatibility. I love these street images. The gestures, and the pile of ??? on the ground, the headless guy on the far right. Gritty!

Andrew
03-24-2006, 04:35 PM
good start, josh... you've picked up on a great technique.

I imagine getting even exposure would be an issue but once that's dealt with the world is your oyster and there's no particular need to make the subjects match in a literal panorama... just mix'n'match!

can't wait for you to get a whole roll of continuous image... should be more impressive than the same thing on 120 film because of the relative proportions of the film

Josh
03-25-2006, 03:55 AM
I was hoping the man on the right would come out more clearly.. I think he's holding an eos and 'hot-shoe' assistant with flash.

I can't wait to have colour ones. the first roll didn't rewind and I opened the back.. ouch! It's also a shame because I can't find anyone to transfer my b&w to cd inhouse, plus it's likely to be cheaper if it had been processed by and scanned by someone. Not much point if I can't dev my own, even if I do use a 'black t' for my darkroom.

Andrew I would have some interesting ones where the film stuck so I had to fire the shutter to wind-on. Also the lens is unbelieveably sharp providing the subject is in focus. Someone posted a link to a photo-based artist, william mokrynski, that builds up montages in-camera except that he uses pinholes.

Marv
03-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Actually the split personality of this image workd to it's advantage. Seems like two different interpretations of the same scene on the same piece of film. That's not easy!

Keep us up to speed on your progress!