PDA

View Full Version : diy ink for 4 greys epson piezography

mtumut
04-06-2006, 10:35 AM
There is an company - i think they were piezography - which produces carbon particle added alcohol based ink for epson printers.
Is there anyone who knows what kind of particle and liquid they use ?
Where can I buy this raw stuff from ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

murrayatuptowngallery
04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I would expect that it is very much in a company's best interests to keep that information proprietary.

ImageMaker
04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
If you have a formula for a "blank" ink that will work in an Epson printer (IIRC, those printers don't depend on boiling point, so viscosity and surface tension are the primary qualities of interest), I'd expect that a mixture of extremely fine lampblack and titanium oxide pigments would be a good start. You can go from maximum black with pure lampblack to an equally opaque in that's barely discernibly gray with titanium white and just a hint of lampblack. For Epson use, you'd probably want 100% black, along with something like 85%, 65%, and 40% (remainder of pigment titanium white, to give a constant pigment load in grams per liter).

This would work best on a bright, neutral white base, of course; for other bases, you need transparent inks. You'd want to just reduce the amount of lampblack to control transparency, though you'd probably have to experiment to get a 100% coverage to have the level of absorption you want.

Underlying this, of course, is a formula for an ink (including a suitable binder, as well as the carrier, dispersion additives, etc.) that will give uniform dots and not clog an Epson head. Honesly, unless you're both a chemical engineer *and* a microfluidics expert, you're probably ahead buying the inks in refill kits (which saves considerable money over buying them in Epson tanks).