PDA

View Full Version : Ground glass alternatives

jml
05-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Fisrt of all, Thanks to tpersin for the ground glass tutorial. Didnt understand a word of it, but i will end up trying it some day!

But for now.. What are the alternatives to ground glass...(Steve Smith, i cant find any screen printers that will help! Yet!) I have no experience with ground glass, but i think i know what i am looking for, if my imagination is correct!

Question 1:
If i have a camera that is 6x6, and i can take the back off.. Can i use ground glass (or alt.) to compose the shot?

Question 2:
Would acetate sheet (transparency paper, or something similar) sanded do?

I tried searching but....

Thanks

Tom Persinger
05-25-2006, 09:19 AM
other people floated several fairly basic DIY ideas:

*a CD Jewel case (plexiglass would probably work too) roughed up with steel wool
* wax paper
* using the aerosol spray "frosting" on a sheet of glass
* scotch tape on plastic or glass

i'm sure there are more, these are just the ones that leap to mind...

good luck!
tp

jml
05-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Good enough for me.. Thanks tp... That should keep me going until i have something to put in front of it!

Does the thickness of the ground material matter? Cheers!

earlj
05-26-2006, 08:23 AM
I took my 8X10 camera back (purchased from eddie) to the glass shop. They are cutting me a piece of 1/8" frosted glass with the corners taken off and all the edges ground down to fit the camera back. They are going to charge me $7.00.

We will soon see if it works . . .

jml
05-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Wow, $7, thats cheap at half the price!

I might try that if i dont get a good enough result from grounding (eventually) What will you do for the grid lines on the glass if any?

murrayatuptowngallery
05-26-2006, 09:19 AM
You want LINES, too?!?

Pencil or india ink on the ground side. Pencil probably has a few advantages.

Thickness isn't really critical unless you put it in backward. The ground should face the lens. If you erroneously put it in facing the back, the thickness from the unground to ground side lengthens the focus by an amount = thickness/index of refraction (there, that's a better spelling)

The only problem with non rigid materials is variation in position. 35mm or 6x6 cm isn't too big. I still have trouble getting non-rigid materials to stay flat. If it's not flat, your focus can be 'off'.

People have used 'Magic' tape & waxed paper however.

Jim Jones
05-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow, $7, thats cheap at half the price!

I might try that if i dont get a good enough result from grounding (eventually) What will you do for the grid lines on the glass if any?

I scribe grid lines with an old ball point pen that no longer leaves any ink. Just about any tool that alters the surface of the ground glass ought to work. This leaves unobtrusive light lines instead of conspicuous dark ones. To make the lines equally spaced and parallel, I tape the glass to a sheet of graph paper.

mazemusic
05-30-2006, 11:00 PM
What I don't understand is...if using a loup on the glass to focus, isn't the thickness of ground glass going to make the image out of focus? If your glass is 4mm thick, your loup is going to be 4mm off of the actual film plane, that is a lot! How do you large format people deal with this? Thanks, Rusty Knorr

moot
05-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Loupes typically can be focused and you focus your loupe on the texture of the ground glass, which compensates for the thickness. You usually need to do that only once. Then you focus the image by adjusting the bellows extension (usually with a focus knob). Before you shoot you should be able to see the texture of the glass and the image, both in focus. The image will, of course, be upside down.

The way the back and film holders are designed your film ends up at the same position as the front (ground) surface of the glass.

eddie
06-02-2006, 09:26 PM
I took my 8X10 camera back (purchased from eddie) to the glass shop. They are cutting me a piece of 1/8" frosted glass with the corners taken off and all the edges ground down to fit the camera back. They are going to charge me $7.00.

We will soon see if it works . . .

$7!?!?!? :-/ i got a piece of ground glass from my glass place and it was $1.57! no shit! i picked it out off there "in stock" rack. so lets see for $5 i can ........ ;D

eddie

retroshooter
07-08-2006, 09:09 PM
try a foggy piece of plastic like a soft cd cover its what I use on all my cameras. they are the foggy plastic envelopes i have a thousand i think. Got them on ebay but anyhting like that or even wax paper will work. So im told on the wax paper.

jml
07-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I have been using some excellent "matt textured polycarbonate or polyester" c/o Steve , thanks again Steve by the way.. Its actually in a pinhole camera I am using it on, I gets confused what with all the f295 sections n all...

I actually sanded a hard cd cover earlier and got excellent results.. And its fairly rigid too!

retroshooter
07-11-2006, 08:35 AM
I like the sanded cd cover I have a ton of those laying about thanks.