PDA

View Full Version : Pentax istDs pinhole

Jimmy G
05-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Another shot of the wheel. Same methods used.

Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/bike_wheel_1_9768.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/bike_wheel_1_9768.jpg)

staft
05-25-2006, 09:28 AM
welcome, jimmy! there aren't too many of us digital heretics here, but more help make the case that even these tools of the devil can make beautiful pinholes, and even have some surprising advantages.

i agree with another reply- it is unusual to add noise, although i did a series where i invited digital noise (by cranking up the iso to 1600 in daylight) to emulate a pointillist dot technique. even dslr heretics around here do what they can in-camera, to avoid the confusing boundaries with digitally manipulated images (not that every posted image isn't digitally manipulated just to get online). you will have to discover where your own defining edges lie!

Jimmy G
05-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i like the noise effect, it gives a rawness, almost comic book quality, which i think suit the whole pinhole buzz. (well my blurry pinhole anyway...working on a sharper one - would love to find a useable pinhole in nature and combine this with the DSLR - ideas welcome!!)
I'll stick with the digital i think for pinholes as i like the instant feedback and the quicker learning curve, the hole itself is the kernel of the process after all, I'm a keen infrared fan so i may post some pinhole IR's in the near future. I hope putting a glass filter in front of the naked hole isn't frowned upon!!

staft
05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I hope putting a glass filter in front of the naked hole isn't frowned upon!!

if it is, i'm in trouble. i use the d50 with a uv filter over the hole to minimize dust (which becomes a huge problem with tiny apertures). my 75mm zone plate also offers much creative play with the dslr.
pinholes with film are unique and inimitable, if you ever feel the inclination to experiment. but i think film-only people are missing a great deal, as well. like you, the instant feedback is usually welcome for someone like me, because i tend to stumble (non-methodically) through the learning process. and with exposures where tiny changes yield huge differences, i doubt i would ever see it through with film. i want to go back to film someday, but even more i see this kind of photo-making as a way of influencing my paintings.

i'm happy to have you here, and wait impatiently for IR samples!

earlj
05-25-2006, 09:48 PM
This is the art of lensless imaging, and a filter does not act as a lens. Many images posted to this site have been aided by filters. Moot's beautiful desert picture was aided by a red #25 filter. I use yellow, orange and red filters to help with the sky, and I use an orange #85 filter to correct my tungsten-corrected film in daylight.

Jimmy G
05-26-2006, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the info.
Put up an IR pic if you're interested (in the IR section). Noisy as hell, iso1600 @ 30 secs. Nice glow from the ivy. Will do some more with some nice black skies once we get some sun.

jml
05-26-2006, 09:11 AM
If we get some sun!!!