PDA

View Full Version : Finished my 120 format mega frame pinhole pano

JohnKit
05-29-2006, 01:30 AM
I have build notes and some sample images from my latest camera I built.
http://www.teamdroid.com/diy-high-capacity-panoramic-pinhole-camera/
This is my first post to this board, anyone have suggestions for my camera? I'm very impressed with the work people here have done, it gives me something to shoot for. :)
-John

Andrew
05-29-2006, 01:47 AM
the camera looks great !!! My though is that people will say you should run some flat black paint over all that shiny brass on the inside but I can't see any suggestion of fogging in your images And of course, please post some pics on the pinhole forum to keep the punters happy.

[actually, I looked again harder... perhaps there is a little fogging in some frames. Play it safe, paint it black ;) ]

paulbeard
05-29-2006, 02:12 AM
That looks really nice. Of course, some of us are dreaming of bigger negatives: interesting to see someone going the other way.

Tom Persinger
05-29-2006, 08:04 AM
nice work, nicely documented. the principles could apply to building any size neg pinhole camera.
thanks for sharing! and welcome to f295!

(i am very surprised the brass didn't reflect and fog the film.)
tp

staft
05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
i love your tensioning system. who needs a holga to mod now?

earlj
05-29-2006, 11:28 AM
That's my kind of camera. I submit that you can make anything out of black foamcore if you set your mind to it. I have built four foamcore cameras, but they all match up to either 4X5 or 8X10 sheet film holders. This is an elegant roll film model. Thank you for showing us the way.

I agree with the previous suggestions about black. Make everything inside the camera black, flat if possible. India ink, black felt, ultra flat black spray paint, black Sharpie pen, whatever works. The emulsion of the film picks up anything that reflects in a long exposure, and the tiniest bit of flare cuts down on what little contrast you have already.

moot
05-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Nice looking camera! I've never seen anything like that format before. In 35mm there used to be half-frame cameras that were similar, but this is the first time I've seen any 120 camera use a tall, narrow format. Very creative.

We'll be looking forawrd to more results!

ImageMaker
05-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Good work on the camera. You know, if you make the film frame 22 mm wide (along the direction of film travel), and make two framing windows 22 mm apart on centers, using the 6x4.5 framing track, you'll get 32 images on a roll and never have an ovelap, right?

nicolai_g
05-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Awesome!

Manual trackback: I blogged this at http://photondetector.com/blog/2006/05/29/hc-pano-pinhole/

MarkB
05-29-2006, 10:55 PM
I like your design very much John. Very inventive. Thanks for sharing with us. I like the possibility of having successive photos overlap on the margins. It lets you combine multiple exposures in a single negative. Well, a lot of pinhole cameras will do this, but I am intrigued by the possibilities and am currently building a 120 format camera that will do this. I'd like to see more of your photos from your camera.

JohnKit
05-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Thank you for reminding me to black out the brass. I'm amazed I missed that. I did it today. With a bit of luck I should get to the photo store and pick up some more film. I hope to have some shots by the end of the weekend.

toniox
05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Wonderfull camera john, I am dreaming of building a camera like this