PDA

View Full Version : DIY CCD idea

mtumut
07-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Hello , After seeing Hasselblad made 40 megapixel camera , I thought its limitless and my money will never be enough to get a good camera next 15 years.1721
I think there is a open door which i found after my radar research.I think may be it will be possible to create a pixel free , limitless res . light gathering ultra wide sensor.
But there is a risk , may be this is the historys foolest idea.
Well let me try to explain my idea.
If I am not wrong - I read at Iran Engineering journal - if you have pixels on sensor , you have to energize them in a row to get information. You cant get all information in one time. but
And pixel based sensors and solar cells use the same mateials but different compositions.
If we get a one pixel ultra big - for example 6*6 cms - sensor - for example a solar cell , we get ultra wide area information.
BUT - may be I am fool - if we put 6 cms long electrodes to the all 4 sides , we can get 4 different electric signal input of the one pixel wide sensor.
Now radar art , if we compare these 4 electrodes signals , we can know which part of the sensor get which signal ! This is an pixel free , limitless pixel instrument which rely to your electrodes and analog digital converters
You can tell me solar cells collect only one wavelenght good but i checked from the internet and learned that there is active ultra wide band solar cell research.
You laugh :)
What do you think ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Greg_E
07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Interesting idea. Don't know if it will work or not, but if it does, there would be a market for it.

Also common CMOS RAM memory seems to work very well as an imager, all you need to do is cut the cover off the chip. Those are still much more expensive though.

ben_s
07-11-2006, 05:07 AM
I like the Idea.
I'm guessing the reading operation would be somewhat analogous to a tube camera.
I don't know whether you could get an electronically steered point output from a solar cell.
Your idea is almost certainly workable, although possibly not with a solar cell (in it's current form)
I don't know a massive amount about solar cells, either their construction or how the electrons flow within them.
I'd be interested to see what others think.

retroshooter
07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
I have no idea. I am not computer or digital camera oriented but I have thought for a while that there will be something soon to replace digital cameras as we know them today. Photographic development has acellerated so quickly that it is just impossible to say, with any certainty, what buck rogers thing will be next. But you can certainly say this technology will be replaced fairly soon. It's just part of the technology explosion.

Little Buffalo
07-22-2006, 01:23 PM
There is something that sounds simular on the market alread it is called a lateral-effect position sensitive detector.

This is the disription from http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2665&search=1

" In contrast to segmented PSDs, Lateral-Effect PSDs are composed of a single active element in which the photodiode surface resistance is used to determine position. Accurate position information is obtained independent of the light spot intensity profile, symmetry or size. The device response is uniform across the detector aperture, with no dead space, and no problem of having the beam in a single detector segment. Lateral-Effect PSDs are preferred in applications where continuous or fine displacements must be measured in real time."

However there is no provisions for reading intensity. It seems a little tweeking with the design might yealed what you are looking for.

Just a thought.