PDA

View Full Version : Maco 820C Infrared Film Discontinued

Elvis
09-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Anyone wanting to try infrared will have to find another film other than the Maco 820C offered by J&C. I was going to buy some today and was told it has been discontinued. J&C is working on getting some branded with their name but that will not happen till spring.

Question for Daryl or others:

What is a good alternative for this film?

Elvis

ImageMaker
09-12-2005, 06:00 PM
If you're primarily interested in "Wood effect" -- the brightening of healthy foliage -- there are a number of conventional films with enough sensitivity in long-red and near infrared to provide that effect -- J&C Classic 400 is one that I recall. Several surveillance films are also capable of "extended red" response, possibly including Maco Cube 400 (same as Rollei R3, but cheaper and on thinner base), and of course you might still be able to find Konica IR750 in 35 mm.

Another infrared option is digital -- all silcon CCD and CMOS image sensors are sufficently sensitive in IR that the cameras incorporate an IR cutoff filter, either in the lens (which you'd be removing for pinhole conversion) or in the protectiver cover over the sensor chip (removable, in theory at least). Many digitals retain enough IR sensitivity, even with the factory filter in place, to show Wood effect if images are recorded through a suitable filter.

Tom Persinger
09-13-2005, 06:08 AM
check out freestyle. i think they have an alternative, but i'm too lazy to find it right now ;)

Daryl
09-13-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm still trying to verify whether or not this is true.

They recently released an 820c Aura - without the anti halation backing.
They also released a 35mm "beta" of "820c / 400" which was supposed to be faster.
This doesn't sound like a company abandoning the infrared market.
Perhaps the one film will be discontinued in favor of the newer emulsion.
(hope hope hope)

On my last roll shot of Classic 400, I went 15 minutes at f/128 with the R72 and the
neg was VERY VERY THIN. Next chance I get I will try 2 hours at f/128 and soup the film for
a 1 stop push. I'll post the results over in the Infrared section.

B&H has IR in stock *HIE 135-36 *and Maco 820c in 35, 120, and 4x5.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=357

Ouch! The 4x5 price skyrocketed!

Calumet also has 820c in stock for 120 and 4x5.