PDA

View Full Version : new to the zone...

Heidi
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Hello,

I got a Zero Image 6x6 zone plate camera for my birthday. I've never used a zone plate camera before so was wandering if anyone could give me some tips. I've put a roll through it but not got the results scanned yet, but the negs are varied! ;D

Cheers!

Heidi

staft
07-25-2006, 11:18 PM
heidi, most people look for the kind of dappled highlights that allow a zone plate to show off its unique concentric refractions (they can be quite garish with color film). also they are great for soft focus-type subjects, but you are going to notice the image, although diffused, is actually sharp - if you matched the focal length correctly. you probably know all this from what you have seen already, and the best advice is to play around and see how you like to use it. show us the results when you can!

i find it useful for capturing fast motion that the longer exposures of pinhole would blur to unrecognizability, although that can be interesting, too. and what kind of deliberate fool tries to capture fast action with long exposures, anyway?

gabriel531
07-26-2006, 02:17 AM
what kind of deliberate fool tries to capture fast action with long exposures, anyway?

careful, steve! you'll have earl chasing hummingbirds again! :)

my challenging subjects are my kids - they don't sit still for even a second...

Andrew
07-26-2006, 02:19 AM
... and what kind of deliberate fool tries to capture fast action with long exposures, anyway?

I can think of.... ;)

Heidi
07-26-2006, 04:34 AM
Cheers for the info - I'll post some up when I've experimented.

scheimfluger_77
07-26-2006, 09:04 AM
By all means Heidi, we'd love to see what you come up with.