PDA

View Full Version : film counter window

Otto
10-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know what kind of red safelight glass to use as a film counter window? I am making a camera and I would like to put a window in the back to know how far to advance the film (using 120). I have heard that different film types(film Vs. paper) needs different type of safe light. I plan to use color and B&W 120 film.

Nick
10-26-2004, 01:28 AM
In main, not any film have safe lite - it's sense to any of light. In your case - on the back of 120 rall is safe black paper - so you may put any window (better some dark) to the back to your camera.
Papers are usialy don't registrate red and not good Green.
Good luck

Otto
10-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks Nick! and thanks for all the great Photos you post!

ElrodCod
10-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know what kind of red safelight glass to use as a film counter window? I am making a camera and I would like to put a window in the back to know how far to advance the film (using 120).* I have heard that different film types(film Vs. paper) needs different type of safe light.* I plan to use color and B&W 120 film.

Otto,
I bought a 1 ft by 2 ft. piece of 1/8" dark red acrylic (plexiglas) to use for that purpose. As Nick has stated, there isn't any color that's safe for pan films. Just to be safe...I made a pivoting cover for the frame window & only uncover when winding. Send me your address by either e-mail or PM & I'll send you a piece big enough to make a few windows.