PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 homemade for free

retroshooter
08-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I just finished building a 5x7 camera. At the moment it is a sorta field camera but I'm not sure how long it will keep it's struts. I had all the parts laying around the house, so it is a freebee of sorts.

It is made from a polaroid alum 250 camera. basic 250 is there for the focusing. Ther back was added to give me a 6x9 back. I am using a homemade film holder so this should be interesting. I just finished it this eveing. Build time was about ten hours.

I'll be shooting it tomorrow, so I'll try to get it tested and something from it posted tomorrow. Iset it up to be constantly set as a verticle camera. Most everything I shoot is a verticle composition in the studio. I can't see taking this monster outside.

The lens is the rear element from either a kodak 3a or a 2c im not sure which. It focuses and covers just fine with the front element gone. It looks to be reasonable sharp. Tomorrow will tell though

murrayatuptowngallery
08-12-2006, 10:45 PM
You just need a monster tripod to take it out.

The rear element works because it's probably a Rapid Rectilinear lens and each half is an achromat a little longer than 1/2 the complete lens f.l. All the ones I have don't bother to tell you what the f.l. IS.

retroshooter
08-12-2006, 11:25 PM
No it didn't bother to tell me either.... it isnt the baush it is marked as kodak which is a little strange for that era camera. Im not sure how sharp it is going ot be but ill know tomorrow