PDA

View Full Version : paper neg still life #1

retroshooter
08-22-2006, 06:19 PM
rose and flag in home made daylight 8x10 tank. The tank is made from a couple of old chemical bottles... I know there are a lot more than one but I'm out of names Im going ot start numbering them now.

Shot on 3x4 paper negative lens was from a polaroid 700 roll film camera. the frame is a polaroid 250.. the back is home made the film holder is a graflex wooden.

Exposed developed scanned then colored. Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/tanka_2334.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/tanka_2334.jpg)

scheimfluger_77
08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Very nice retroshooter, I'm really enjoying this series.

retroshooter
08-23-2006, 05:41 PM
thank you. I try to shoot a shot a day, I don't always... I haven't today I've working on details for an 8x10 camera today.

I also try to shoot one properly exposed and usable negatve everytime. I get it about 75 percent of the time if I shoot every day. I can forget the current formula if I put it off a couple of days.

Right now I'm awaiting chemicals.

I generally develop both paper and film in the same chemical mix. The times are even close. I use a mixture of equal parts dektol and d76 liguids, then delute it 1 : 4... time for paper at 75 to 80 degrees is about 2.5 minutes, Film is about 3 minutes. That is asa 100 film.

To me photography is more art than science. I will take what I get from the axe blow photography and processing, Then work it into whatever I can make of it. I spent over thirty years having to play it safe, now I enjoy the challenge of using everything I shoot.

When something goes wrong it usually goes terribly wrong. I made a half roll of 120 film and everything went wrong. I cut the sheet for the second roll too short, then i taped it too far up the paper. All I got was about an inch of exposer, instead of the five frames I should have gotten,

If i go out to shoot a negative I usually either have a good image or a completely blank piece of film or paper. So it's a challenge and a mystery as I am sure the first photographer felt.

Can you imagine sitting in the back of a hot smelly wagon coating glass plates, setting up a shot, then exposing it for severa minutes. Going back into the dark to develop it only to find you left out a critical chemical. That must have been heart breaking.

scheimfluger_77
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
You know, a 75% success rate at one frame per day is pretty good. Without causing Sarge undue palpatations... that kind of production is easier to manage than a roll a day, psychologically speaking. :-/

retroshooter
08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
actually it is extremely easy, if you have thing set up an very little else to do. Almost cost effective since the only thing that goes to waste is a small amount of film or paper developer. I use about four onces so it figure to be a tiny amount of stock solution.