PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Tin camera - Help please

bambooflyrod
10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I have just tidied out my flytying gear and have now got a round Danish Butter Cookie tin, measuring 185mm diameter and approx. 70mm deep. I'd like to use it to make a camera and have done a search on the site for such things. I have found a couple of relevent messages from way back and just wondered if anyone has any pics of similar cameras to help me along. I need inspiration at present.

I'm not sure whether I'd be using paper or film so I'm open to suggestions in either medium. I'd particularly like to see any resulting pics taken on it if any of you have such a camera.

Cheers,

Ian M

ImageMaker
10-29-2005, 02:34 PM
The simplest way to make a camera from such a tin would be to mount sheet film or paper (up to about 5x7/13x18 size) in the bottom of the tin and put the pinhole in the center of the lid. This would give a simple, flat-film, wide angle camera.

Alternately, you could mount 120 film around the periphery and put the hole in the lid to make an anamorphic panoramic, though cutting the film in the dark is prone to "happy accidents"; images would be somewhat similar to those from an Omniscope (though less severely distorted with the much larger radius of curvature). Or, you could mount either 120 strips or 2x3/6.5x9 film sheets around the periphery with mulpile pinholes for a different sort of panoramic effect (I think Taco has a camera or two made this way), though that might also suggest use of dividers of some sort to prevent multi-aperture images on unintended film sheets (unless you *want* multi-aperture exposure blending). Or you could mount film on the outside of a center post or core and let multiple holes cast blended images onto the convex film, similar to the way a Pinhole Blender operates; it would even be possible to mount a roll film transport inside the center core for even more Blender-like operation.

taco
10-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi,

I have just tidied out my flytying gear and have now got a round Danish Butter Cookie tin, measuring 185mm diameter and approx. 70mm deep. I'd like to use it to make a camera and have done a search on the site for such things. I have found a couple of relevent messages from way back and just wondered if anyone has any pics of similar cameras to help me along. I need inspiration at present.

I'm not sure whether I'd be using paper or film so I'm open to suggestions in either medium. I'd particularly like to see any resulting pics taken on it if any of you have such a camera.

Cheers,

Ian M

I made one, but as the first shot (on paper) wasn't a success, I never shot a second one.
http://taco.thoma.be/gallery/The-Flower-Collection
But: Paper is unforgivable, maybe I should try it again with Image Makers suggestion for film with a Pintoid:

Given that your tin will accomodate approximately 6x9 cm, you'd have about 3 1/2 stops difference between the center and corners -- on negative film, that isn't completely unmanageable. Overexpose the center by two stops and the corner will be only 1 1/2 stops under; that should still give a negative you can print.
It could work if you extend that a little more for your round cookie tin, but then you should fix a kind of film guidance (two stripes of carton or something)
taco

taco
10-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Alternately, you could mount 120 film around the periphery and put the hole in the lid to make an anamorphic panoramic, though cutting the film in the dark is prone to "happy accidents"; images would be somewhat similar to those from an Omniscope (though less severely distorted with the much larger radius of curvature). (I think Taco has a camera or two made this way), .
If you mean the following:
http://f295.tompersinger.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1114790305
Bino has some better ones:
http://f295.tompersinger.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1115150885
http://f295.tompersinger.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1115673261

bambooflyrod
10-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Oh, me head hurts !!!!

Many thanks for your replies. I'll give it a bit more thought now I have some ideas to work on.

It's late at night here and 'been a long day. I may 'retire' with 'Renner' and a glass of Rum.

I have to say that since I became a 'lurker' then a 'poster' here, I do look at things 'pinhole' in a different way.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Ian M

taco
10-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Oh, me head hurts !!!!
Many thanks for your replies. I'll give it a bit more thought now I have some ideas to work on.
It's late at night here and 'been a long day. I may 'retire' with 'Renner' and a glass of Rum.
I have to say that since I became a 'lurker' then a 'poster' here, I do look at things 'pinhole' in a different way.
Thanks for your inspiration.
Ian M
On some (not all) pages of "Renner" I have the feeling that I even don't need Rum ;D
But before you go to bed a little thought:

Given that your tin will accomodate approximately 6x9 cm, you'd have about 3 1/2 stops difference between the center and corners -- on negative film, that isn't completely unmanageable. Overexpose the center by two stops and the corner will be only 1 1/2 stops under; that should still give a negative you can print.
Of course that's only good for flat film planes where the middle gets more light then the ends. With a curved film plane you will get more light on the sides in a panoramic configuration (so just turn ImageMakers model around) and more light near the pinhole in an anamorphic configuration >:(
With anamorphic you have to calculate your f-stop with a FL as "in the middle of the tin" and then do some real darkroom work with the contact print

taco
10-29-2005, 06:48 PM
The simplest way to make a camera from such a tin would be to mount sheet film or paper (up to about 5x7/13x18 size) in the bottom of the tin and put the pinhole in the center of the lid.
ImageMaker:
I'm an aesthete. Normally the lid is printed with a nice motive, but the bottom contains only stuff like "ingredients" or "best before" or absolutely nothing. The holes of all my tin cameras are in the bottom

ImageMaker
10-29-2005, 07:38 PM
You may prefer build them that way, Taco, but it's easier to drill a hole in the lid than the body of the tin, IMO, hence (slightly) simpler to make the camera with the hole in the lid. Also easier to ensure whatever film fixing method you use doesn't interfere with closing the tin...

murrayatuptowngallery
11-01-2005, 08:28 AM
So, with an 'end-illuminated' cylindrical anamorphic camera, can someone describe the difference between a small diameter can and large? Is the larger diameter less 'loopy'?

I have been hoarding every manner of can for years and thus have options.

Thank you

Murray

ImageMaker
11-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I'd expect the larger can to have much less distortion -- in the extreme, it would be almost like a perfectly ordinary curved-film panoramic camera made with a goodly helping of rise (i.e. set it on the ground and it looks upward at, say, 30 degrees). If I were to do this with a round cookie tin I have here that's about 50 mm tall by around 150 mm diameter, I'd expect hardly any distortion at all -- 35 mm film at the bottom edge of the can would be very evenly illuminate and look up at between 10 and 30 degrees.

This tin is one I'd intended for 4x5, but I might make it with dual film holding -- 4x5 flat on the bottom, or 35 mm around the edge; it'd be rather interesting to scan the resulting 35 mm negative, though, and more so to print it, since it'd be about 470 mm long. -- similar to a 12 exposure roll. :) Might even be possible to arrange different film speeds and expose both films at once, though it would be a very unusual subject that would accommodate that...