PDA

View Full Version : Roto-pinhole camera

DVZ
11-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Did anyone else see the roto-pinhole camera by François Besson?
http://www.galerie-photo.com/roto-pinhole.html
Wow! It really appeals to my panoramic sensibilities... such as they are.

LiquidLight
11-12-2005, 03:09 PM
wow!
that will be the next projekt! hehe.

moot
11-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Very interesting camera, definitely food for thought.

Thanks for the link.

ziplock
11-17-2005, 10:38 PM
I had been thinking about something like this myself after seeing this baby on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shes-here-ETHEL-360-degree-Medium-Format-Panoramic_W0QQitemZ7559725633QQcategoryZ710QQssPag eNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had read briefly about slit cameras and I believe that what I read said that using a single slit would give you stripes of your image. I thought if you put a single vertical slit in front of a drum with film on it and rrotated it at the proper speed, you might get a 360 degree "pinhole" image.

But I have tons of ideas that I never get around to actually trying to implement.

ImageMaker
11-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Ziplock, I don't think a single slit where you'd normally put a lens or pinhole can produce any kind of recognizable image, even in conjunction with the "moving" slit at the film plane. The film plane slit has to be vertical to expose the film sequentially (and the pan rate would have to be very slow, if the film plane slit is narrow enough to contribute to image forming); if you then used a horizontal slit at the front, you'd get a sort of image composed of slices of the "horizontal average" of the scene at any given instant, but if you use a vertical slit at the front, you'd get the same image as if you had just simple fixed vertical slit.

Now, if you used a horizontal slit for actual imaging, with TWO vertical slits, one at the film plane and another the same width, as far in front of the horizontal slit as the film plane is behind it, you might get something of interest; the front slit would narrow the horizontal field of the horizontal slit's averaging, and so give you an image that would be similar to that from a scanning pinhole camera. Of course, it's not any faster (in terms of exposure time requirement) than a pinhole scanning camera, but this (it seems to me) would allow scanning the camera around a fixed film on a central cylinder, which doesn't work with conventional pinhole or lens scanning cameras.

Hmmm. I wonder if there's a way to simulate this, short of actually building one?

mrtnski
12-26-2005, 08:42 PM
This is amazing. I was working on a 360 deg. pinhole camera. My design is almost simular to the one on the web site! I'll keep you'se posted!
mrtnski@gmail.com