PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox

JoeVanCleave
10-03-2006, 04:39 PM
150mm f.l. binocular lens on Speed Graphic, wide open at f3.

Arista grade 2 paper negative, pre-exposed 9 seconds. Exposure 1/15 second via curtain shutter. Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/mailbox001a_7715.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/mailbox001a_7715.jpg)

timeruinsbelief
10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
looks like a lens-baby photo! i love it!

retroshooter
10-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I swear this is weird I was making a shot with a point and shoot digital for a forum I just got involved with and I made a shot like this one with a yellow cloths pin attacked to the bottom to hold outgoing mail...

Needless to say I love the composition.

JoeVanCleave
10-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments. This series was taken in 'Old Town' Albuquerque, where there's lots of old architecture, and interesting details that work well with this narrow depth of focus camera setup (the town was settled 300 years ago).

And a person doesn't look too unusual with a camera here, since it's a big tourist area. However, no one else that I saw had a tripod. Or an Anniversary Speed Graphic with a binocular lens attached via homemade lens board, for that matter. In fact, I saw few film cameras at all.

Just as a final comment (which reminds me of the joke "How can you tell if a preacher is lying: he says 'In conclusion...'") it has been fun working with this new optical system, since I'm so used to virtually infinite depth of focus with pinhole. Somehow, these narrow DOF shots seem to remind me of the way human vision isolates detail within the visual field, within a narrow section in the middle. And it's a powerful way to isolate a particular detail, while making the 'bokeh' of the background very obvious.

moot
10-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Just goes to prove there's no such thing as a bad lens. Just a different lens.

Nice work.

LiquidLight
10-05-2006, 12:00 PM
this is great.
could you send me a photo of the lens..?(on my mail) so i can get some ideas to a lens.
i have made a small bellows that i`m planning to use.

Marv
10-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Is it just me or does this format make the images look like they are miniatures? Maybe it's the isolation of the subject from the background but it is a very effective effect.