PDA

View Full Version : cloud fence

cnmne
12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
90mm f/64 zone plate, 6x6cm, Ilford HP5, Ilford MGWT.

Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/cloud_fence_563.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/cloud_fence_563.jpg)

moot
12-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Wonderful image!

Your zoneplate shots strip a scene down to essentials with stunning results.

earlj
12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Chris:
It is rare in your images that I wonder what was lost in the increase in contrast. This leads me to ask a question that you might prefer not to answer.

How do you approach your work - do you see the print when you are framing the shot?

Your images are a departure from nature. Your choices in exposure and development and in printing affect the finished product profoundly. Your images resonate emotionally and esthetically, yet I reckon that they are not good representations of the scene before you when you opened the shutter. I am curious as to whether you are able to craft the image at the time that you expose the film, or rather do you take what the film gives you and make it into something that appeals to you by means of printing variables?

Marv
12-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Very post apocalyptic...........

The small fence in the distance is placed perfectly. It adds to the sense of foreboding and isolation that I perceive. All enhanced by the transition from black to the vertical slats and ending in the soft curves and varied tones of the clouds.

Without knowing your response to Earls questions I believe you know going in what the print will look like later. From your past images you show a very good eye for interesting and solid compositions. Luck is nice to have but your consistancy indicates hard work and preperation. Please let us peek into your methods. I don't know about Earl but I like to (steal) learn from the best!

cnmne
12-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Earl,

After working with the zone plate and striving for a general printing style for a few years now, I have a pretty good idea how a particular subject will be rendered when I compose the shot. I try to select those subjects that I find visually interesting, and that have a reasonable chance of working for the zone plate and my printing style, (but am not adverse to making an exposure just to see what happens). Often, I can make a print that is very close to what I intended, but there are lots of surprises, and enough "happy accidents" to keep the process intriguing and fun.

gneissgirl
12-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Chris,
This image, like virtually every one of yours I've seen, evokes a strong emotional reaction for me. "Stunned" is the word that comes to mind!
It's hard to describe, but I think it's a combination of the simplicity of the compositions and the dramatic effect of what's hinted at but not there. A big, spacious pause...waiting for ???

Less is more. Whatever your method, you've mastered the medium in my book. Thanks for giving us some insight about your process.

drew
12-10-2006, 08:18 PM
again ri-damn-diculous

ketch
12-12-2006, 01:55 PM
This one along with all the pic in you"re gallery just BLOW ME AWAY !

I'm not sure of the process you take to reach the end result, but it gives me something new to work at.
Thanks for sharing these most impressive images........... ketch

Carl Radford
12-31-2006, 07:51 AM
One for the wall!

LiquidLight
01-12-2007, 04:46 AM
hi.
this is great.
print this in 120cmx120cm and putt it on the wall!
i would have done that.

Ole.

c.khroulev
01-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Breathtaking!

Now I feel I just have to try shooting with a zone plate!