PDA

View Full Version : lubricating film holders?

paulbeard
12-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Anyone know a safe way to smooth the passage of dark slides in film holders? I find some of the ones I have picked up are a real bear to remove and re-insert the slides. Is there some lubricant I can use on the edges that won't mess up the film? Obviously, oils or graphite are out. I was considering something like wax along the edges, since it doesn't run or drip and will stay where you put it.

What do you recommend?

scheimfluger_77
12-11-2006, 09:14 AM
In thinking about this I think I may have actually made careful use of WD40 in the past. It's an imperfect solution but if you're careful not to get the spray on the inside surface of the film holder, and don't spray to drippiness, you should be ok. I've also spent quite a bit of time flushing the slide area by running the dark slide in and out many times to break loose any gunk. Then used compressed air to blow it free, followed up by a good brushing with an anti-static brush. This has proven effective in my experience.

Wax in the form of paraffin would probably work well too. Just remember that the bulk of the binding is probably coming from the broad top area of the holder where the slide has to pass its entire width each time you move it.

Good luck.

paulbeard
12-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the tips. I have pondered all of those ;-) except the compressed air, as I don't have access to it. I have WD40 and some teflon-based stuff. Will report back for better or worse.

Jim Jones
12-20-2006, 09:33 AM
WD40 is often best applied with a Q-tip or bit of paper towel rather than sprayed. You can spray a bit of it into the WD40 cap, and pick it up on the applicator as needed Although WD40 appears to be a very thin oil, it actually is more like a grease suspended in a solvent.

paulbeard
12-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Just remember that the bulk of the binding is probably coming from the broad top area of the holder where the slide has to pass its entire width each time you move it.

Good luck.

Actually, I find the resistance is at the bottom, the flap end. I have no issues with the top end or the length of the rails/grooves. A little paraffin seems to have helped. I picked up a shop-vac the other week, missing some parts: once I get it re-assembled, I'll see about blowing out some junk.

Bogdan
11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Hello, PLEDGE, I like lemon scented one. I use canned compressed to clean out between the felts and the inside of the holder for any dust, cat hairs and such. Take out the slides, spray them with Pledge, and then polish them. Afterwards, they slide in and out very easily. Bogdan