PDA

View Full Version : proof printer diy

fabrice
02-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi, I was wondering if some of you had managed to do diy proof printers ?
I need one 135 format, and one 120 format.
Here in France, a paterson one can jump to 30-50 (I guess it's more or less equal to us$) on eBay, or more ! crazy for a piece of glass with a bit of foam ...
but I can't figure out the diy way, how to stick the negs on the glass, and get a decent proof print.

I insist on "decent", not just as "readable" but also "good looking", as I'd like to do something like "proof-portfolio" as an artistic project.

bob fallis
02-08-2007, 02:17 AM
fabrice.
this is my way of making proof prints.
you need

1 a piece of MDF to fit the size of the film. about 10" by 8'

2 a ptece of glass the same size,

3 some clip to hold the glass and board together

on the bottom of the board fasten two battens so that the board stands free of the bench.
.place a piece of photo paper on the board, arrange the negatives on the top , clip the glass to hold them firm

bob

bob fallis
02-08-2007, 03:34 AM
PS.. forgot to add, mark out the areas of the negatives on the top side of the glass using electrical tape

bob

fabrice
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
thanks for feeling concerned !
well, I already do my proof prints this kind of way, but I was willing to upgrade my skills ;)

retroshooter
03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I was doing research for a book about the 1920s and photography, so I made a daylight printer. I used it to proof negs and make a smaller number of prints. I built a masonite frame shaped like a pyramid.

Cut a hole in smaller end then make apertures drilled in bottle caps for it. Built a film back on the larger end so that I could slide a 4 by 5 film holder in the bottom. I would take it outside measure the light. Pull the dark slide make the exposure. then replace the dark slide and pull th film holder.

Take it to a dark bag remove the paper and negs. Put the paper into a large plastic mayonaise jar with a light baffle that I also made. Used dektol for the required amount of time and there you have it instant proof prints.

I removed the center from the film holder so that it was deeper and used a bit of plexiglass to hold the negative flat against the paper. It worked quite well. I also planned to use it if I ever did civil war reinactments. Use it to make small prints without electricity.

My purpose in doing it was to simply prove that a print could be made without electricity if need be.

Most proofers ,who have access to an enlarger, just use a piece of window glass if they want to make one themselves.