PDA

View Full Version : repairing a Polaroid 545?

paulbeard
04-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Anyone have any experience changing the film-holding springs on a 545 holder? I just got one and the springs are duff, as it turns out. Polaroid no longer stocks them {gulp!} so it may come down to some barnyard engineering to get it to work. I am looking at another, in case I'm out of luck here, but I hate to have something I can't use.

murrayatuptowngallery
04-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Look on the SK Grimes site. They have an exploded view of the parts & disssembly instructions. If you can't find it, I'll look & send a link

It's a little hard for me to read, but better than nothing.

Can you post a pic of yours open & point out what parts you need?

paulbeard
04-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I have been there/done that/got the skinned knuckles to prove it.

I need the film holding springs and Polaroid doesn't make 'em or stock 'em anymore.

Someone else on here has one that's busted in a different place, so we may work out a swap or some kind.

murrayatuptowngallery
04-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Sounds easier than making springs.

moot
04-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Do the springs get worn or are they broken? I've got an old polaroid holder that was *very* heavily used in a passport camera with no cleaning or maintenance. It's been a project "for another day" for too many days so if it has usable springs it may as well get used. It'll be at least Monday before I can put my hands on it, so PM me if you don't hear about it early next week.

paulbeard
04-29-2007, 01:40 AM
those springs don't look that hard to fabricate, if I knew what good ones were supposed to look like ;-)

Looking forward to results from tomorrow's WPPD. Had to make a new 4x5 cigarbox, since the one I usually use is in Pittsburgh. What timing ;-)

paulbeard
04-29-2007, 01:43 AM
moot, they have two ends, the long ones that press on the film and the short ones that fit under some latch, the purpose of which eludes me. The short ends are just wrecked. Once looks like it got crumpled, and the other just seems too short to work properly.

moot
04-29-2007, 01:45 AM
OK. I'll see what mine looks like. Be aware it's a beater but there may be usable parts and the price will be right. Can I see the springs without tearing into it? If not you'll get the pleasure of re-skinning your knuckles.

paulbeard
04-29-2007, 01:48 AM
The skinned knuckles were metaphorical. the 545 is dead easy to take apart. Just pop off the side clips and if you're not careful, it's all in your lap. You really can't see the springs without opening it, but that's the easy part. There's a trick to putting it all back together (documented at SK Grimes's site), but that may not be your problem. If the springs look and work OK, let me know what you want for the basket case.

moot
04-29-2007, 01:51 AM
I'll do that. In case I forget PM me if you don't hear anything further.

paulbeard
04-29-2007, 01:57 AM
The springs are labelled 30 in this diagram (http://www.skgrimes.com/about/545/parts/index.htm). And there is a link on that page to field-stripping the thing.

moot
04-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Thanks - I managed to find that page, and I emailed the link to my shop computer so I'd see it monday morning. Looks easy.

Tom Persinger
05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
i have a 545 with a busted #34 (in diagram) anyone have any replacement thoughts? polaroid wants approx $10 for one (including shipping) seems silly to me. they ought to just give me one so i buy more of their film...

if no ideas on hardware store replacement opportunities, i may be open to trade offers paul...

anyone?
tp

paulbeard
05-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, Bob Jones sold me a replacement for mine -- works fine -- so as soon as I look up what a #34 is, if I have a good one, I'll send it along.

Hmm, the number 34 doesn't look all that esoteric: is that something a good hardware store would be able to locate? It's just a fastener, if I am reading it right. If you want to take this one off my hands, that's fine. PM if you want tp pursue that.