PDA

View Full Version : the Behemoth, 8x10

luscher
01-06-2006, 05:54 PM
the Behemoth makes an 8x10 image

a 12 minute exposure of the University library, and a strange artifact, which i can't wait to chase after ...
Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/06__the_behemoth_02_4348.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/06__the_behemoth_02_4348.jpg)

earlj
01-06-2006, 06:02 PM
The strange artifact is actually the astral projection of the spirit of a red fox whose den was decimated by the bulldozers digging the foundation for the building. His visage will haunt every lensless image made at this location until his restless spirit is allowed to sleep.

Nice image, luscher, now go out there and make some art!

knut
01-06-2006, 06:54 PM
The strange artifact is actually the astral projection of the spirit of a red fox whose den was decimated by the bulldozers digging the foundation for the building. His visage will haunt every lensless image made at this location until his restless spirit is allowed to sleep.
Of course, what else could it possibly be? ::)

The box ..ehhh camera has potential; large format surely helps!

luscher
01-06-2006, 07:28 PM
The strange artifact is actually the astral projection ... now go out there and make some art!

thanks for the info, Earl - that is a much better explanation than i could come up with ! at least the camera tests were successful - it is light tight (not bad for a simple cardboard box) and the pinhole works well.

but as for making art, i'll leave that to all the professionals around here, and continue to play the fool / jester and hopefully share the fun i'm having

luscher
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
... large format surely helps!

i still can't get over the zoom effect that only 22'' provided ! the 5x7 image gave the impression that i was about to be tucked in with a shovel - the car seems to be right in front of the camera. all the short focal length cameras i've made to date have been absurdly wide angle by comparison

murrayatuptowngallery
01-07-2006, 01:45 AM
That's what, about 560 mm...so what would that be for 5x7, dartboard close to 135 mm on 35mm? (As far as pulling a standard lens out of a bag goes).

Tom Persinger
01-07-2006, 09:49 AM
if i had to guess i'd say the back of your pinhole is somewhat reflective and cause the fox to rear it's angry head.....

luscher
01-07-2006, 10:32 AM
if i had to guess i'd say the back of your pinhole is somewhat reflective and cause the fox to rear it's angry head.....

LOL - again with The Angry Brown Fox Fogging Over my Paper !

while thinking about the problem last night i mentally ran through the methods and materials used in construction, and remembered the details of the box hole (you know the old saying : there are no atheists in box holes) over which the aperture plate was adhered - i believe i used a smooth-surfaced black duct tape (D'Oh !) to prevent the edges of the hole from fraying. there seems to be no rational explanation for my ''fear of fraying''. one of these four pieces of tape is probably reflecting back some light from the (glossy? semi-glossy?) paper ... i know, i know : i'm an idiot to have purchased anything approaching gloss in paper, but there you are.

maybe today i'll cover the black duct tape (the surfaces accessible from within the box) with matt black duct tape. BTW, this matt finish duct tape was available at Big Lots for 88c for a three roll pack, the dimensions of each roll is comparable to standard masking tape.

That's what ... close to 135 mm on 35mm? (As far as pulling a standard lens out of a bag goes).

snapping my ancient 80-200mm lens (rarely used this thing, feeling so conspicuous when walking around with a long lens as if suffering from penile insecurity or something) onto my equally ancient SLR, adjusted until the image looked identical and BINGO - 135mm good estimation mu rray !

luscher
01-07-2006, 10:40 AM
FWIW -

the aluminum plate has been sprayed (both sides) with ultra-flat black. that's the shutter, lying upside down, to the side.

the four white dots are for visual registration, the hole being somewhat difficult to find Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/83051151_15aab24fbc_8199.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/83051151_15aab24fbc_8199.jpg)

earlj
01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
. . . the details of the box hole (you know the old saying : there are no atheists in box holes) . . .

:D luscher - your mind works in mysterious ways. Thanks for keeping us on our toes.