PDA

View Full Version : Reflection

Chrissy
01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Earlj and I finally managed to approach the river shore and we saw a Fabulous reflection and I didnt hesitate at all. 30 sec Ansco Viking Agfa APX 400 .45 mm

Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/0114064_9703.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/0114064_9703.jpg)

staft
01-16-2006, 12:27 PM
chrissy, you both did wonders with this reflection. I love how you let us see the bridge inderectly, keeping the mystery alive!

gneissgirl
01-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Way to go, chrissy! she who hesitates loses the best shots!

dvoracek
01-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Very nice composition. I'm not sure why, but this reminds me of the work of the 19th century British photographer Peter Henry Emerson.

Carl Radford
01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Nice one Chrissy - sometimes less is more!

earlj
01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the reference, Nick. It is always fun to find out about the history of photography. PH Emerson died in 1936, though, so I think that he did some significant work in the 20th century as well as the 19th. The pictures that I found seemed to be mostly platinum prints of landscape subjects. Nice stuff.

ImageMaker
01-16-2006, 03:04 PM
<wolf whistle>

Niiiiiiiice! Chrissy, if I'd been doing work in my teens like you are, I'd probably have had the confidence to pursue photography as a life work. Keep it up -- even if it doesn't call you as a profession, it'll never fail you as a personal art form.

cnmne
01-16-2006, 04:15 PM
I like the way the reflection of the bridge leads to the group of pilings. We know the reflected bridge is much more substantial, but the pilings seem to trump the reflection.

dvoracek
01-16-2006, 05:03 PM
PH Emerson died in 1936, though, so I think that he did some significant work in the 20th century as well as the 19th.

Earl,

Emerson pubished a book called Naturalistic Photography, that outlined his basic philosophy and influenced much of the work of the pictorialist movement. Several years later in the mid-90's he published a retraction called ""The Death of Naturalistic Photography" and did very little work after that.

Nick

Andrew
01-16-2006, 05:36 PM
coool... in many of the pics with water, it's the water surface that's the most interesting element of the image so it's a logical move to just zoom right in on it like this. Brave move too because most people wouldn't take the chance. Seems to have really paid off in this case !!!
;D ;D ;D

earlj
01-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Several years later in the mid-90's he published a retraction called ""The Death of Naturalistic Photography" and did very little work after that.

If naturalistic photography has been dead for 115 years, why didn't someone let me in on it? I could have saved a lot of time . . . ;)

murrayatuptowngallery
01-17-2006, 04:22 AM
That is very cool.

I particularly like the mirrored buildings...gives an abstract perspective twist.

As I scroll vertically with my mouse I see different 'crops' of the image. (15" PC monitor).

Starts out as a 1" x 5" panoramic of the buildings & pilings & only a hint of bridge reflection.

Scroll down & 'crop' the buildings and pilings out and you see a classic reflection image. Look at this a bit longer and you get a confusing sense of the left side being a reflection downward but the right side appears to be coming out of the water rather than reflecting onto it.

Scroll back to full image and the symmetrical buildings look like the wheel on a paddlewheel river boat (well, except that they're solid).

I drive alot & see images panoramically as I bolt by at highway speed, wondering where to park my car to take a photo, and whether I'd ever find what I saw inspiring if I was standing still. That must have something to do with my appreciation for pinhole vertical rotoscope images.