PDA

View Full Version : easy to convert

bino
01-19-2006, 11:50 AM
it`s raining outside so I ccnverted a Agfa Isoly, very cheap, 1 Euro

format 120, 4 x 4, that gives 16 exposures
focal-length 38 mm, pinhole 0,24 behind the shutter, it can be used with filter, f 158

very easy to do and you can use the shutter :) Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/pict0002_9820.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/pict0002_9820.jpg)

ImageMaker
01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Bino, if you wanted to you could open up the frame mask in the back to make 4x6 images. The Isoly, like the 1950s era Diana, was designed for 4x4 images in order to allow slides that fit the standard 51 mm mounts (which seems kind of silly, in retrospect, because cameras in that class were never, ever, good enough to produce slides that would stand up to projection), but since you're gotten rid of the glass (with its curved focal plane and light falloff), if you don't want/need slides that fit in a standard projector there's no reason for your image size to be bound by that restriction.

I've been tempted to try to get a Bencini Koroll 24S for conversion -- takes 24 3x6 frames on a 120...

bino
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Thank you for this tip, Imagemaker. But what to do whith th shutter-mechanismus inside? Remove it? no option - blacken? its in the way?
I think 4x4 is better Attached files http://f295.f295.org/uploads/photo001_3702.jpg (http://f295.f295.org/uploads/photo001_3702.jpg)

ImageMaker
01-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Good heavens -- that shutter linkage is similar to the one in a Baldixette.

However, for the purpose of opening out to 6x4, you needn't mess with that; you'll be filing the top and bottom of the frame. Only if you wanted to add the 5 mm (really more like 3 mm) to the frame width would you need to worry about the shutter linkage. It looks as if you could open up about 8 mm top and bottom, though some care will be required at the corners to avoid scratching film where it passes over the ends of that little rail -- and if the rail is less than 8 mm wide, it might not be practical to do at all.

alspix
01-20-2006, 05:38 AM
Agggh! What have you done??! I've been looking for an Isoly to use as an Isoly!!

Never seen one that cheap!

Never mind, there will be others :-)

ImageMaker
01-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Yep, keep looking -- they're nothing like as rare or expensive as a Diana. Of course, even with the lens, opening it out to 6x4 would be tempting -- but who knows if the lens would even cover that extra area...

luscher
01-21-2006, 04:51 PM
... Agggh! What have you done??! I've been looking for an Isoly to use as an Isoly!! Never seen one that cheap! ...

... Yep, keep looking -- they're nothing like as rare or expensive as a Diana ...

i've been searching for more than a year now ... a Diana for $20, a brand-spanking-new Holga 120S for $15 - no real problem in either case. but an Agfa Isoly for 1 Euro !?! there has been nothing even close on eBay in the last year ! to make matters worse, shipping alone is easily $20 as many listings originate in Europe or Scandinavia.

open plea : if anyone has an (apparently two are desired) Agfa Isoly please post something in the Buy/Sell/Trade section

bino
01-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Excuse me please, I did not know anything about the worth of the Isoly.
Before I started pinholing one and a half year ago I do not use any camera. So I only know pinhole cameras! :)

In my home-town a little photo-shop closed and the old lady, who was the owner of the shop, gave me the Isoly , a Agfa Isola I, a Balda Juwella and a Agfa Isolette I for only 1 Euro for all. She did not want any money from me, only the gesture :). She was a nice old lady! :)
I now think this is a little pinhole-wonder! :)

The Balda Juwella is in use as pinhole and could be used as a L.... camera (never done). Isolette and Isola are L.... cameras. On a rainy day I make the Isoly a pinhole, because I want to learn to do home-developing with film:)

Sorry, but I will look for you!...and next time before I convert a camera I will ask in the forum... ;)

Bino

alspix
01-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Myself, I'd leave those Agfas as they are if they are in reasonable condition. Both cetainly sell for more than 1 euro on ebay (especially in the UK or US). I have two Isolas (I and II) and really like them, with their pop-out lenses.

I still can't believe you got all that lot for 1 euro. If that happened to me I wouldn't stop smiling for a week!

al

luscher
01-21-2006, 09:25 PM
... Excuse me please [...] and next time [...] I will ask in the forum ...

no need for all that - you did the right thing, i'm so very jealous ! where i live cheap old cameras are increasingly scarce. people think that if it hasn't any possible use (if, say, the film is no longer being produced) it must be a valuable antique <rolls eyes>

i'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing photos from your new conversion

murrayatuptowngallery
01-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah - antique stores are insane, and even the GoodWill stores get rediculous...they are online now and seem to get the highest minimum bids/reserves on eBay as their store prices. Why they want more money for a nothing special camera than a 3-piece sectional couch I don't understand.

The church thrift stores are better. Not worth driving around for yard sales anymore.

It is disappointing when someone wants $20 to ship something domestically that should go in a flat rate box for $8.

ImageMaker
01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Murray, it's a simple case of the seller jacking up the shipping "and handling" to ensure they make a profit without having to pay eBay a reserve fee. I just figure the bid plus shipping in calculating what I'm willing to pay on auctions -- and if the seller doesn't give a shipping calculator or flat rate, I'll ask if it's in interesting item. If it's too much, I move along...

luscher
01-23-2006, 06:44 PM
...it's a simple case of the seller jacking up the shipping "and handling" to ensure they make a profit without having to pay eBay a reserve fee...

this tactic falls under eBay's ''fee circumvention'' rules, but eBay seems unwilling to even try and stop it (search for 'pinhole' and look at the dozens of auctions for micro CCD cameras). as a seller, i can understand it - charge $20 shipping on a $20 item, list for a starting price of $0.01 to $0.99 incurring the smallest 'insertion fee' and 'final value fee' possible, as well as avoiding the $1 'reserve fee'.

obviously a potential buyer must ask themselves ''if this is how a seller conducts themselves with the auction site, will i fare any better ?''