Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid and Zone Plate

Polaroid and Zone Plate

My name is Laura and I'm new to the F295.org community. I'm happy I found this resource and I look forward to viewing the beautiful photographs posted on this web site.

I hope I'm posting my image to the right forum. Let me know if I'm not.

The image was taken with a Zero Image-45 camera set at 75mm. Exposure using the zone plate was about 4 seconds at f/44.7. The image was made on Type 669 Polaroid film. The Polaroid print was scanned, and then converted in Bibble.

This is one of my first images using the zone plate.
    I look forward to your feedback...

Polaroid and Zone Plate

oh, there you are! Hi again....
    sorry, I should have dropped my other comment here

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Polaroid and Zone Plate

Laura, go to the gallery and look at the zone plate images posted by Chris Ellinger (cnmne). They will inspire you to go out and make more. I assume that this is a self portrait . . . very nice.

Polaroid and Zone Plate

Lovely portrait, and a nice use of the polaroid-zoneplate combo. Despite having the zeroimage 4x5, I've never used the zone plate settings. Looks wonderful, I've been missing a lot.

You converted the 669 to sepia? It's a great look - was the original bluish?

Polaroid and Zone Plate

Nice illumination too

Polaroid and Zone Plate

Thank you everyone for your replies!

EarlJ: Ellinger's zone plate images are beautiful... and inspiring! You're right in assuming the image is a self portrait. I'm glad you like it. Thank you!

Ednaz: Thank you! What a nice compliment. I hope you'll give the zone plate setting a whirl. The results can be magical and surprising. Yes, I converted the image to a warm tone. The one I converted to is called "Palladium." The high values in the original print lean toward yellow and pink and the low values contain red. I've attached a copy of the color version below.

Murray: Thank you for your reply!

Polaroid and Zone Plate

Hi Laura, Welcome around here!
    I really like the colour version you just posted.

Polaroid and Zone Plate

I find myself preferring the original color version - including the blown-out highlights on the nose - and I think I've pinned down the reason why: it's the higher contrast.

The light side of the face is so bright, the chiaroscuro lighting gives the photo a very cubist look. It's as if we are looking at the same face from two different angles and/or two different moments in time. I don't get the same feeling from the processed image.

The "Palladium" conversion doesn't appear to have the same degree of contrast, so it doesn't give the same stark geometric feeling to that zig-zagging line between light and shadow on the face.

Food for thought...gorgeous portrait either way. I am a big fan of the combination of zone plates and Polaroid...there's such a luscious softness to the images.

Polaroid and Zone Plate

Thank you for your replies Pob and Slowcore!

Slowcore, good food for thought. I see what you mean about the b/w version. I agree. The chiaroscuro lighting does add dimension to the image. The light, lines, and resulting geometric feeling, are lost in b/w. Thank you for your insightful commentary. I'm looking at the photo in a new way. I like the color one too!

Polaroid and Zone Plate

I also prefer the color image. I like the added warmth and "humanity", and the slightly cooler background seems to add more depth.

Welcome to f295 -- a very interesting introduction!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast