Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: making film holder..need idea...

making film holder..need idea...

first of all i'm apology about my english, i'm from indonesia. delio has brought me here to ask everything i need to know about photography including pinhole photography.
    so far i already made some experiment in pinhole with my digital camera. right now i'm about to build a pinhole camera from wood, or cardboard or something like that (other than can). but i need to know how to make the medium film holder (especially for large format like 8x10 film paper). anybody wanna help me to make the construction. i already have the respond in flickr but i don't quite understand. i've been googling as far as 18 pages of these discussion forum, but i don't find the thread about how to make the film holder (unless i was just missed it).
    thank you for your attention. thanks so much delio for bring me here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhirgahayu/

Hi Danne,
    Concerning the “negative holder”; in the 8x10 nested box design that I suggested to you there is no holder per se. I understand that you intend to use a single paper negative, in that case the paper is held to the box rear wall by tape; it is exposed, then the camera is returned (closed) to the dark room for removal of the paper negative and development+stop+fixing+drying of same.
    A film holder that I think you are looking for, is possible yes if you intend to expose 2 negatives and then go back to the dark room. The 8x10 holders are available new and used, but they are not cheap; and making one at home is not an easy mater either. That is why I recommended to you the two boxes nested design.
    Sent me a personal message with an e-mail address where I can e-mail you some PDF sketches for the nesting boxes that you will need to make for a single 8x10 paper negative.
    Also you may like to think that in place of making an 8x10 you could make a 4x5. The used film holders are much more affordable, the camera is much more practical to go around with and, at the same time the negative is sufficiently large to be scanned and/or contact printed into a positive for viewing.
    To send me a PM with f295 just click on my name and follow the instructions and, your English is fine is mine that is questionable.

The trickest thing with holder construction (besides keeping it light tight) is film flatness & registration with the ground glass. For a pinhole camera this is not an issue so you have been freed from a very serious problem.

All you need is a shallow box with tabs running along each edge that the film can go underneath, and another sheet to act as a dark slide. A material called garolite is often cited as the best option for dark slides; it's a thin rigid plastic.

I think you can get it from McMaster-Carr (look for that online).

Details can be figured out by looking at how other film holders are made (just google around and you'll figure it out).

g'day Danne

give it a try, keep it simple, it's maybe not as hard, technical or precise as we think

i've made 20 in both 5x8 and 8x10 from 3mm MDF, black plastic display book covers, Velcro loop and a little PVA glue Attached files

looks great Ray! can you show us how you do the light trap?

thanks!
    tom

thnx for your interest Tom

the light trap is made using stick on Velcro loop

two pieces of 3mm MDF, the front piece has the hole cut for the exposing area, the second is the backing plate which has 3mm MDF strips on 3 sides and the Velcro on the third

i make dark slides from the black plastic covers as found on note books and visual art diaries

these are single sided film holders in which the film/paper and dark slide are in the same channel

they work well, are cheap and easy to make and i've not yet scratched film or paper Attached files

very interesting! thanks for the inside peek....
    do you find that the film floats fwd. when you remove the darkslide? or?
    i love the simplicity of the velcro light trap - pure genius!

thanks again!
    tom

hi Tom

i needed another 8x10 film holder so your question spurred me on to make one

re: film/paper floating/bowing, doesn't seem to be a problem for the type of images i capture and probably no more a problem than in any other type of film holder

i now have these in 5x8, 8x10 and 11x14 shooting mainly FB paper

though i use simple lenses the centre of the image seems quite sharp

a thought just occured, FB paper usually bows to the emulsion side, so this may help to keep it flat

another thought, the film/paper can't move forward because it is taped at the top and under a channel on the bottom, actually in the the 8x10s the film/paper is under a channel on 3 sides

yeh, simple, cheap and effective

i've often been surprised that things we normally consider undoable/impossible/too complicated often aren't, too many times we seem to get into a mindset that precludes KISS and just have a go

the attached was captured on 8x10 film loaded into one of my film holders in a homemade sliding box camera fitted with a magnifying glass Attached files

ah! thanks Ray... i thought tape might be involved!
    cheap and effective - the perfect combination!

thanks for sharing... i see one of these in my future.....

tp

ps: nice image btw!

Thanks, Ray, for the details, and the encouragement. I've doodled in sketch journals for years about ways to make film holders, but they usually end up being overly-engineered designs. I like the simplicity of this one, where, with a little bit of labor, one can fashion a whole set of holders, making ULF DIY cameras feasible.

~Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast