Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: making film holder..need idea...

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

making film holder..need idea...

Outstanding, Ray. I will have to give this a try. I'm thinking that I could accomplish the same thing with black matboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 560
    O...I'm thinking that I could accomplish the same thing with black matboard.
    i believe Earl once said he could build *anything* from black matboard..... I think he even had a sailboat in the works at one time.... :X

Quote Originally Posted by 560
    Outstanding, Ray. I will have to give this a try. I'm thinking that I could accomplish the same thing with black matboard.
    g'day earl

yep, great stuff that mount board

my early design used matt board, easy to work, light weight but ultimately too weak

my concept was to create a film holder that would allow me move away from the darkroom and take multiple shots using a film holder around which i could build a range of cameras

attached is an early test shot self portrait from one of my first 8x10 simple lens cameras Attached files

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

That is a wonderful portrait.

now that's something to think about. KISS. I really should keep that in mind, as my designs have been growing more complex (and harder to build) with each passing day.

thanks a lot for the reminder, rayh, and great work on those holders...

I know this is an old thread, but Ray I have a question about your holders if you're still around. Do you remove the darkslide when you are shooting? or does it remain partially inserted? I've been thinking about making some 11x14 holders, but cannot figure out how to remove the darkslide without leaking light. And if I leave the darkslide in, I'm worried about wind causing vibrations.

G'day Jason

I'm still around and too busy with a new job.

Normally I don'y fully remove the dark slide because I mainly use FB paper and it tends too catch the slide when it is inserted. However I have more recently shot RC paper and it seems to sit flatter than FB and does allow the slide to be inserted ok. In my experience FB paper tends to bow to the emulsion side i.e. up when sitting emulsion side up. Whilst RC tends to bow away from the emulsion side i.e. down.

I often have the same concerns that the slide will catch the breeze and cause vibrations. To think on the problem a little more maybe the camera being so big will also catch the breeze. To be honest I've not noticed that an exposure has been ruined by vibration of the camera/slide/tripod though plenty are ruined by other factors.

As for full removal of the slide causing a light leak I never actually thought it would, I should do a test shot.

I have made 11x14 film holders this way and they work fine. I thought they may flex too much or something but that is not the case.

My next challenge is to convert some of my holders to accomodate glass plate negs.

Let us know how you get on, and anything else I can do please ask.

Thanks, Ray. I plan on building an 11x14 pinhole and I expect a pretty long exposure, hence the concern for a flopping darkslide. I figured that when the darkslide was removed there would be a slight opening remaining.

Also, I'm looking for an MDF substitute since it isn't available at my local Lowe's. Only thing I can think of is black foam board, but it is twice as thick.

Most photographers place a dark cloth over the camera during the exposure. This cuts down on the chance of fogging the film/paper.

I realize this thread is quite old now (almost 1 year!) but I've been going through a great book that has plans for darkslides, and I would highly recommend it for anybody searching for information on the topic:

"Primiative Photography," by Alan Greene. Loads of useful images/drawings/measurements/plans for simple lensed cameras and darkslide construction.

BEN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast