Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Diana shutter

the Diana shutter

here's a series of illustrations of how the Diana shutter works.... pretty simple stuff really

first pic is at the neutral position before you do anything

you can just make out my finger on the trigger at bottom roght
    the silver top release button is continuous with the large piece that has the brass post marked A embeded in it

underneath that is a rotating metal disc which has the post marked C embedded in it
    the disc has a hole which will uncover the underlying aperture and open the shutter

in between the 2 posts is a small spring marked B

the silvered sliding component on the left is to catch the shutter disc in the open position and give you a B mode Attached files

the Diana shutter

this is with the trigger pushed to mid position...

you can see that the post A has moved to put the spring B under tension

hopefully you can visualise that with a little more rotation the spring will then be positioned to turn the disc by pushing post C Attached files

the Diana shutter

this would be mid position in the shutter disc's travel but I've set it to lock open so you can see how the spring has been positioned to flick the disc around

Attached files

the Diana shutter

this is the full extent of the shutter disc's travel with the shutter release still fully compressed

Attached files

the Diana shutter

this is as you release the shutter arm...

the post A is again compressing the spring B and with a little more movement will be positioned to flick around the shutter disc thru prssure on post C

you can also see that the width of the internal portion of the shutter release arm will now cover the aperture when the shuter disc moves to prevent a double exposure Attached files

the Diana shutter

It may be a toy camera, but those are still ingenious mechanics. A few stampings and a couple of springs are all it takes.

the Diana shutter

Seems like something someone with a few ingenious skills could adapt to a wide angle pinhole camera.

500+ Posts

the Diana shutter

Thanks for the pictures! Maybe a tip for Joe's streetshooter project, but certainly interesting stuff.

the Diana shutter

Quote Originally Posted by 575
    Seems like something someone with a few ingenious skills could adapt to a wide angle pinhole camera.
    Is this the same mechanism as the Holga? Looks very similar. Easy to adapt to pinhole. Instructions easy to find on the internetS.

Also looks very much like the shutter mechanism in many of the vintage box cameras that take 120 or 620 film (e.g. Agfa ShurShot). These are really easy to adapt so that you can hold the shutter open manually (if it already does not have that option built-in, which many do). You just need to add a "stop" so the shutter doesn't swing all the way across but returns to its starting point when released.

Easy! Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!

the Diana shutter

A very informative sequence Andrew. Thanks.

I wish someone would do the same for the 8-BANNERS two-lever pinhole shutter. There is little information on the net that shows the workings of this shutter and it has proven success in ultra wide-angle applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast