Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameo 637 Launch

Cameo 637 Launch

Here are some shots of my new Cameo 637. This is an evolution in the Cameo 625 line. You can see details about the Cameo 625 here:
    http://f295.f295.org/uploads/Blah.pl?b-cm/m-1172343862/s-0/

The overall size of the camera is almost identical to the 625. 4.75” x 5.5” x 2.25” (width x height x depth). Weight 1.25 lbs. Film size, 120 roll film.
    With a .28mm pinhole in place it is about f128.

The main differences from the 625 are:
    - Negative dimension is 60mm x 37mm (w x h). This is slightly ‘taller’ than the 625, which will make it easier to ‘aim and frame.’ But fewer 637 negatives will fit on a 120 roll, approx 15 to 16 negs on the 637 (vs. approx 22 on the 625)
    - No plywood used in the construction, all solid oak (except the front which is masonite, covered by the colored paper). It looks nicer.
    - I’m now using a continuous piano hinge and recessing it so the knuckles of the hinge don’t protrude beyond the wood. Also looks nicer.
    - I finally found a commercial latch that I like. This is a bit costly, but making and mounting the latch was the most time consuming step on the 625 model.
    - I have improved the tripod screw-plate. On the 625 I used a press-in fitting. Those tend to pull out slightly after repeated use (about 1/64” or so in my experience, not a problem, but not entirely satisfactory). The new model has a 1/4”-thick steel plate that is very firmly screwed into the camera body.
    - The way the camera back fits into the frame on the new 637 is different (better). It is more elegant looking, and forms a light-tight seal that does not depend on the foam sheet.

I just ran the first test roll of film through the camera this morning and will post the ‘evidence’ later today.

As with the 625 I plan to make a few of these for sale. Send me an email if you would like more info.
    Attached files

Cameo 637 Launch

A view of the back and the side with the latch and strap attachment.

Attached files

Cameo 637 Launch

A close-up of the winder and other hardware.

Attached files

Cameo 637 Launch

Here's an image of the inside when it was in rough form. You can see the rabbets where the lid fits.

Attached files

Cameo 637 Launch

Inside shot, finished.

Attached files

Cameo 637 Launch

And finally, a nearly square-on view of the front. Note that I can put any image on the front. This is a piece of fancy hand-made wrapping paper (purchased, not made by me!).

Attached files

Cameo 637 Launch

i love it!
    the only thing that 'sort of bothers me' --& considering the other fine attention to detail I'm sure there's good reason-- is that the front image is off center.... any thoughts?
    otherwise it's fantastic!

after seeing the 625 at the symposium I always meant to but procrastinated ordering one, now I'm glad i did
    i urge all fellow f295'rs to step up and support a great camera maker (and pretty nice guy!)

PM sent...

tp

Cameo 637 Launch

What a delightful looking camera Mark. Everything has been well thought out (and executed). Your 625 was an inspiration to me so thanks for showing your new model. More inspiration!

Cameo 637 Launch

Quote Originally Posted by 1446
    ...the front image is off center.... any thoughts? tp
    It's a question of form following function. One side of the 'frame' (the box) is thinner than the others. I use a router to make a recess for the front of the camera (a piece of masonite). The paper I put on the front is cut the same size as the masonite. I could just as easily make it a bit wider so it would be symmetrical.
    Thanks for the kind words Tom & Tony!
    Mark

Cameo 637 Launch

It works.
    Here are 3 shots from the test roll. Tri-X film. All of these indoor under fairly weak light on a gloomy day. Each of these was 30 seconds exposure. Attached files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast