Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stupid needle question

stupid needle question

It's not a stupid question. The needle industry has long failed to support pinhole photography in this respect. Maybe it would help if we atarted to use the name needlehole photography.
    Jim, you are sooo right. I went needle shopping today. There were no needles matching sizes in the chart above - most were quilting needles or "betweens" or for beading. But, I remembered we have a decent micrometer, so I bought an assortment pack and will measure them tonight (and label the sizes). Since I bought a quilting assortment, they look pretty small. My guess is that regular sewing needles are passe as people don't sew things by hand as much.

stupid needle question

also remember you can order actual drill bits in such small sizes too.... put those into a pencil eraser and you have a great little human powered pinhole drill....

tp

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

stupid needle question

Quote Originally Posted by 1446
    also remember you can order actual drill bits in such small sizes too.... put those into a pencil eraser and you have a great little human powered pinhole drill....

tp
    My first two years of pinhole work I used hobby drill pinholes exclusively. I bought a pin vise - a handle about the size of a pen that holds the drill bits. A piece of Coke can sanded down on both sides with some emery cloth makes a pretty thin substrate. Chris Patton has a chart of just about every available hole size (including the ems apertures): http://pinhole.stanford.edu/ip-ph.html.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12