Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable Paper Negative Darkroom

Portable Paper Negative Darkroom

Here's the BabelFish translation from Taco's link, Portuguese to English:

"It has two types of photographer working in the areas of leisure in São Paulo. One is the figure conhecidÃ*ssima lick-licks of it and to another one it is of the young photographer who walks of a side for another one, loading two or more machines tiracolo. Lick-it licks it has fixed point to photograph; it has license to work in areas established for the city hall. The other is a ambulant photographer who works where he wants, in the weekends and the festive days, to get an extra profit. The work of both is folclórico, therefore it elapses of spontaneous learning. The sales and the promotion of its services elapse of the experience of life, acquired in day-by-day. Lick-you lick them are pensioners without professional qualification, descendants of Italians and Spaniard. The ones that works with modern machines proceed from some states of Brazil; it has predominance of miners, northerners and northeasterns. They work as wage-earning laborers; in the holiday and weekends they photograph house servants, couples of boyfriends and children who costumam to take a walk in public areas. Some also take care of called the domicile, to photograph baptized, anniversary, engagement and marriage. The ten lick-you lick that they work in the public areas in São Paulo do not like if identifying nor of speaking on the profession. They are carrancudos, esquivos men to the dialogue. Youngest (cinquenta years) and less reserved than I found was Ângelo Morales, the term lick-licks comes from the old custom to place chapinha of glass, that contained the format of the photograph to be beaten, between the lips, in way that the photographer, in the hour to beat the photograph, recognized back verse easily and. It affirms that it was necessary to make this test, because the plate was and still it is placed in the machine with the onward sensible side of the person who goes to be photographed. Today it is used rigid plastic plate, for photographs; to recognize avesso and front it is alone to place the thumb on chapinha. The emulsified side landmark the finger. In this manner, the photographer prevents to beat wrong photographs. Ângelo counts that by 1930 return the 1940, the Garden of the Station of the Light and the Dom Park Peter II, were frequented by rich young women of the São Paulo Avenue and Europe Garden. Today, it says: " Of the people of it only are, quaint people, at the times, I arrive to have fear to work for these bands (Garden of the Station of the Light), therefore has a terrible swing here; namora people that, that she touches violão and she sings underneath of the trees, jettison in the lawn or on the banquinhos. Others bring children and animals to play and to take a walk. It has street vendors that they vendem of everything, making one would cry out of the devils. But the problem is that we were forgotten, since that had appeared the young with the modern photographic machines and the store. The store, these yes, are our competitors and take off the bread of the mouth of people. They had been whom they had eliminated lick-licks with it, can crer". Although the competitors, are looked to photograph fiancés before going to the church and even though to make all the photographs of the marriage. As he explains, has a position certain to fix the machine-caixote in a park; an area or angle is fixed in, taking themselves in account the position of the sun, the landscape, the transit and the circulation of pedestrians and cars. Chosen the place, it is mounted machine on a tripod and it she is ready to photograph. The machine lick-you lick of them is known between them for machine-caixote, for being similar to small caixote. Caixote machine The machines external are coated with raw leather, wood or metal. In the internal part, it has a tank where the liquids are placed to disclose the photos. It still has the black shirt, species of hung black bag for machine, with three openings: two orifices for the arms and one to thread the head, in the hour to beat and to disclose photographs. The function of the shirt is to protect photographs of any type of clarity. The machine is used to take off photographs and for sample. Its laterals are covered of photos. It is common to arrive a customer saying that it needs as many photographs, whose dimensions do not know to need; in this in case that, the photographer calls it to it attention for the sample. All photographer lick-licks extends next to machine one cordinha, where he places the photos to dry. In a plastic bucket I contend clean water, it of the water bath candy in photographs, washes when removed them of the clamp and revealer. A shears is essential to separate a photograph of the other and to make right the size the taste of the customer. It still has a coat and a necktie, to be loaned to the young that does not make use of these parts, to take off reservist wallet photograph. Customer The customers of the ambulant photographers are people humble or proceeding from the provincial cities. The house servants are distinguished, elements of the laboring classroom, living of the suburbs that if find in São Paulo the stroll or search of work. Counted Estória for Ângelo Morales It has a century, a laborer who worked in a mine of silver, France, heated its metal pan every day, in the hour of the lunch more than and, after that it took, it for it are on a board. It liked to lunch seated on a great rock, to contemplate the sky and the landscape. One day, noticed that the board that used to carry the hot metal pan had two different colors. The space that was free was black and where it remained the metal pan if it had conserved white. It was surprised at the discovery and it started to notice the boards that were inside of the mine and what it happened when they were displayed to the natural light. Uneasy with the discovery, it started to count its comment also has many people and to some druggists and chemistries of the place. He was advised to read chemistry books that explained the phenomenon, and discovered, thus, that a chemical product existed that fixes the white color and the black color. Thus, Ângelo Morales says, a laborer to call Lumier made the world to know the photograph, contributing so that a new profession appeared. Anecdote of photographer In 1940, a photographer gave beginning to the profession of lick-licks, after having worked very to buy a machine-caixote. He received when it, he caught it and he was immediately to the Dom Park Peter II. There he prepared the machine, he placed the chair to the front and started to walk cantarolando for low e for top. Suddenly, he very appeared one well worn gentleman and he said to it: " Young man, necessary that he takes off my picture, but sees there, has that to be very pretty, therefore I go to offer it one to it dama". It was the first time that the coitado one went to beat a photograph and was emocionadÃ*ssimo. Its hands trembled, its voice did not leave, the sweat went down of its face, the breath became difficult, to each minute that passed. With effort, it asked for to the customer, who if seated, arranged the coat and the necktie, while it prepared the machine. It moved, it rummaged, it placed the machine in some positions, but in they go. It did not obtain to fit the customer, in the machine. Despaired, it arrived and said: " He forgives, its doctor, you is great excessively, does not fit entire in mine máquina". Propaganda and sales The ambulant photographers, to arrange customers, need much astuteness. The competition between them is great e, beyond it, has that to face the competition of the amateur photographers. To call the attention the passer-bys, the photographers display photographs in twigs of trees, moored ropes the improvised props, tents, the laterals of the machines-caixote, the soil and even in the buttons of the proper clothes. He enters the techniques of joined sales and of promotion they are distinguished it of the monóculos. He has p
    hotographers that they moor a row of monóculos in the buttons of the shirt and leave to offer ready photographs already or using them as sample. One another one very used technique is that one to apply photographs of people and landscapes on white cardboard piece, of approximately cinquenta centimeters for forty. These posters are fixed to a displayed tripod in well visible angles. On the posters they are ranks mirrors, so that the interested parties if comb and if they arrange. It is common also to find in the posters the prices of photographs displayed there, as well as where to find the photographer. In the Park of the Ipiranga it has two tents seted in the next area to the Museum; there felt hats are displayed, of cattle tender, plastic guns, empty cartucheiras, cinturões of leather, door-pictures with photographs of personalities of the artistic world. This material is for being vendido or used by the customers whom they desire to be photographed dresses in the style of cattle. The photographers walk between the passer-bys, in order to offer its préstimos, to promote and to venderem door-pictures and ready photographs already. During these contacts, they offer to services the domicile and they go distributing promocionais brochures. While they walk they say: " He looks at the photo. Who goes to make photograph? It looks at the photograph! The young man works and baratinho well! He looks at the photograph to order for the namorada one! "

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Both amusing and informative. Thank you, Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by 560
    Both amusing and informative. Thank you, Joe.
    That's Babelfish
    All I could make from it was that "lick-lick" means Lambe Lambe. For the rest:
    I once was on a very interesting ITALIAN site about the old Belgian Gevaert company and the translation for PAN film was BREAD film !!!!!

So, when (or if?) I finish this project, do I paint the words "Lick Lick" on the side? Me thinks not; someone might think I'm an ice cream vendor (or, depending on what part of town I go to, worse.)

Mobile processing box? Portable darkroom? I'm still not sure of the terminology. But not "Lick Lick."

I like this part:
    "...the term lick-licks comes from the old custom to place chapinha of glass, that contained the format of the photograph to be beaten, between the lips, in way that the photographer, in the hour to beat the photograph, recognized back verse easily and. It affirms that it was necessary to make this test, because the plate was and still it is placed in the machine with the onward sensible side of the person who goes to be photographed. Today it is used rigid plastic plate, for photographs; to recognize avesso and front it is alone to place the thumb on chapinha. The emulsified side landmark the finger."

If I understand correctly, in the glass plate days the photographer could tell the emulsion side by licking it?
    but now with plastic film one's finger can be used.

I'll stick with trimming one corner off the paper negatives, to denote the emulsion side, as is done with the notch codes on cut film.

Yesterday I visited the hardware store, bought some 5mm Luann panelling and 3/4" square hardwood sticks to make a wood-paneled, frame-supported box. I may cut the sleeves off my smaller (but newer) changing bag. But I also saw in the original link they used cutoff pants legs from (apparently) denim jeans. Maybe go that route and line the sleeves with black fabric from the sewing store?

I just hate the thought of cutting apart a functional changing bag!

More updates later.

~Joe

Quote Originally Posted by 1351
    I just hate the thought of cutting apart a functional changing bag!
    I've heard stories of people doing such things to cameras, if you can imagine that!

Quote Originally Posted by 1351
    So, when (or if?) I finish this project, do I paint the words "Lick Lick" on the side? Me thinks not; someone might think I'm an ice cream vendor (or, depending on what part of town I go to, worse.)
    Why not? Remember: you need a bucket of "water bath candy"

Well, I started putting together the wooden frame that will eventually be the processing box. I'm using 3/4" square poplar sticks, from Lowe's Hardware store. The box will be sheathed in Luann thin plywood.

I'm prototyping several shapes and layout options for the box. The best layout I've found so far has the box dimensions at about 18.5" square on the base, and a height of around 12". Two arm sleeves protrude from holes on the front side of the box. The processing drawer shelves will be located centered against the wall opposite the arm holes, with the drawers pulling towards the arm holes. To the left and right of the drawer shelves will be light-tight boxes for storing exposed and unexposed paper. These storage boxes, and the processing drawers, take up the rear half of the box.

The space nearest the arm holes, about half the available area when the drawers are closed, will be for loading and unloading film holders and the Polaroid model 800 camera. Access to the box will be via the roof lid, which will remove, have latches, and a light trap.

To keep chemicals from sloshing around and getting on the front "dry" side where the camera or film holder will be, I'll attach a vertical shield plate to the lowest drawer (the fixer drawer); this plate extends upward enough to shield all 3 drawers. When processing is ready the lower fixer drawer is pulled out, then the upper two drawers can also be pulled out. Then processing commences from the top developer drawer. When the paper is removed from the top drawer, the other hand is used to push the top drawer back in, revealing the middle stop bath drawer. When processing is done in the middle drawer, the paper is removed with one hand and the drawer closed with the other, then the negative is placed in the bottom fixer drawer. After the processing is completed in the fixer drawer then I wipe my hands with a cloth and remove my arms from the sleeves, then unlatch the top lid and remove the negative from the fixer drawer and place it directly into an external water rinse container.

At least, that's the plan, until the plan changes.

More later.

~Joe

Just a bit of progress on the project, and more research into the lambe lambe style of street photography. Incidentally, living in New Mexico and having a rudimentary exposure to Spanish, I know the term "lambe" also has a derogatory usage, probably deriving from the term "to lick". There's some evidence for this, as I did a Flickr search for "lambe lambe" and found things other than photography-related.

I have a wooden frame built, made from 3/4" square poplar sticks, forming a box 19" square and 12" high. This is different in shape from most lambe lambe setups I've seen pictures of, but that's for a reason. I plan on using my Speed Graphic and Polaroid model 800 as stand-alone, unmodified cameras, then load the film holder (or in the case of the Polaroid the entire camera) into the box, where the paper negative is retrieved and processed. This box is big enough to open the Polaroid and extract/reload the paper negative.

I'm currently working on the arm sleeves, which, from pictures I've seen, appear in most cases to be made from the legs of old denim jeans. I've done some testing and it appears a double thickness of denim may be light tight enough for this purpose, so I've going down to the thrift store today to find several pair to cut up. A large elastic rubber band around the cuff of the leg suffices for the arm sleeve elastic, in the photos I've studied.

Other observations from searching Flickr's database of images:

This picture shows how the photographer uses a small hand mirror, placed against the front of the lens, to help align the camera to the subject when there's not a good viewfinder or viewscreen to use. I supposed the subject tells the photographer when he can see himself properly centered in the mirror. Neat idea.

This picture, this picture and this picture show the front bracket used for optically copying the negative into a positive print. So this is one way it's done. With my Speed Graphic, the 150mm binocular lens would make a good portrait lens stopped down, while an old 78mm enlarger lens appears to be able to reproduce the 4x5 negative image on the ground glass with the bellows extended nearly all the way out, so this may serve as the copying lens.

There were other images on Flickr where no front copy bracket was evident, such as this, this and this, where it appears a contact printing frame sits on top of the box.

There's also this image, showing a close up of a paper negative, and what appears to be a contact printing frame on the right.

Many of these street photographers also employ an assistant, who holds a background card or cloth behind the subject while the picture is made. There were also others who use outdoor statuary or other monuments as backgrounds.

I find it important to document these photographers, their equipment and methods, as it appears to be a dying technology. I just wish I understood the language better in the articles I've come across.

~Joe

You did a great research job, Joe. Thank You

I did a test of blue jean denim used as arm sleeves. It was obvious, looking through a single thickness of denim, that it isn't light tight. So I tried testing a double thickness. Using an old pair of my grandson's bluejeans, I inserted one leg into the other, then rubber banded one end shut. I placed a 4"x5" paper negative inside the doubled up legs, rubber banded the other end shut, and placed outside in direct sunlight for 25 minutes, after which I developed for 10 minutes.

The results, attached here, show that there is some fogging through a double thickness of denim.

Yesterday I went to a cloth store, found some black vinyl fabric that appeared opaque, until I took it home and tested it with a mini-flashlight, only to find it not opaque. Well, it was only $5 per yard. I doubled it up, however, and then it does appear opaque, but the material may be too thick. I'll try using a hot glue gun to seam the material together this way, then cover the seam with a strip of gaffer's tape, which is light tight. This may be better than trying to sew the material, especially given my lack of sewing talents and sewing machine.

I may end up buying some darkroom blackout material from Freestyle's website.

The project continues...

~Joe Attached files

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast