Thread: figuring exposure indoors?

figuring exposure indoors?

I know there are charts for guessing the exposure for outdoor shots based on the weather and light. Is there a way to guess/figure the exposure for an inside shot? Maybe based on an EV reading from a light meter? My meter doesn't read very far from the usual camera settings and I'm using paper to put my needed values even farther from the capabilities of my meter. I'm horrible at math and counting through stops is not something I'd like to do each time (I know I'd screw it up more often than not). Basing an exposure on an EV reading would be my preferred way to do it unless there's something even easier.

There are methods that people here have gone though to arrive at their conclusions on indoor timing. However a good way to learn that will take no more than a few days is to get a notebook, break out pack of paper, get some chemicals set up and start shooting.

I just made a 8x10 pinhole cam out of a Vanilla Wafers box. 40 minutes in regular indoor light wasn't enough, but that was for what I built. The pinhole was sharp looking though. I've got one set up in my bedroom to collect light until morning. We'll see what we get out of it.

g'day fellas

there are currently a couple of other threads on this very subject

it would be good if you could check them out and contribute

may be i could have added a link or something from here to there but that's just a little beyond my abilities, sorry

Winger, record your EV readings and exposures. Eventually you'll have enough data to make a chart to attach to your camera. From only a few data you can probably extrapolate the rest of the chart. You may have to allow for reciprocity failure. Unlike film, I don't remember reciprocity failure problems with my longest exposures, about 10 minutes.

I use EV 7 for general indoor lighting situations. If the room feels dark (or is large with dark corners), I'll shoot EV 6. If the room feels well-lit, I'll shoot EV 8. I've had good luck shooting 400 ISO B&W film and pushing it to 800 ISO to keep the exposures times a little shorter.