Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

I was impressed so much with Joe VanCleave's 50mm Binocular lens camera shots I had to make my own. With a couple of cigar boxes, an old Ilex shutter, a 3x5 view screen (given to me by my Mother-in-Law) ,and about 7 dollars worth of parts from the ACE hardware. It will focus as close as about 18 inches to infinity. My plan is to use mainly paper negatives. Test photos soon.

Attached files

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

Max and min extentions

Attached files

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

focusing knob

Attached files

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

view screen

Attached files

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

Hey. this is a great design. I like the way the two box halves nest together. I've had a link to the George Eastman House museum in which there are lots of examples of old nested wooden box cameras, that perhaps seem to be easier for someone to craft than a camera with a bellows.

Perhaps we'll see a resurgence of newly built nested box cameras.

I hope to see images from this baby soon. Paper negatives in these glass lensed box cameras are pretty fun to shoot.

I was in my local cigar store last week, noticing the stack of empty cigar boxes that are purchased by local school teachers. I was chuckling to myself that, as much as schools seem to emphasize anti-smoking, their crafts projects seem to rely on us cigar smokers for supplies.

~Joe

PS: I forgot to mention that you have the same Bogen tripod head that I have. Great minds think alike!

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

You know if the viewer was on top it would look like a "po" mans Hassy 8).....

I especially like the "surgeon generals" warning on the side. Should probably read:

"The surgeon general has determined that further spending on this insane hobby may result in the protracted death of "_____________" (insert name) resulting from evil stares emanating from their loving and devoted spouse."

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

I finally got back to working with this camera. I did a little empirical testing with photo paper negatives. The chart on top of the camera is a conversion chart for the lens settings and the bar shows the focal distance and f stop for each aperture setting.

Attached files

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

the setup

Attached files

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

Midday sun Arista Grade 2 paper considered iso12, focus distance of about two feet to the first water bottle, the second bottle is about a meter further, the third is two meters after that and the last was about three more. F6.3+/- 1/8th of a second exposure.

Attached files

50mm Binoc Lens View Cam

second, same as above only f11.8 and 1/4 second exposure

Attached files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast