Thread: Gantry Park at Hunter's Point, Queens

Gantry Park at Hunter's Point, Queens

I'm still reading that book by Julius Shulman about architectural photography. Taking a leaf from him, I'm giving Tri-X a try and messing around with a red #25 filter for drama. Ok, black gantries are not the best subject choice for a red filter. But the sky did cooperate somewhat.

Gantry with Manhattan skyline in the background.
    FL=86mm, PH=0.3mm offset somewhat up, f/stop=287, exp=12 sec.
    LR=1.4, home-made pinhole, heavy-duty aluminum foil

Gantry with Hunter's Point in the background.
    FL=48mm, PH=0.3mm offset somewhat up with red #25 filter, f/stop=160, exp=32 sec.
    LR=1.8, home-made pinhole, heavy-duty aluminum foil

Really nice work indeed. Love that second one especially!

that second shot is very dramatic -- the sky cooperated in dramatic fashion! nicely done

The first one is great with loads of detail in the structure, at the expense of detail in the highlights although I suspect there is more to come out of that negative.
    As previously mentioned, the second one is super. It has a bit of your 'trademark style' about it.

Edit: Excellent composition too!

Great pair of compositions. Both photos show amazing detail and a wide range of tones.

I like them both.
    Dramatic composition.

Both special images showing off your skill as a pinholer. Can i ask this time what LR is?

LR is for Lord Rayleigh user constant based on the formula:

user constant = diameter of pinhole divided by the square root of (focal length times light wavelength).

Thanks for the comments!

This looks like a great spot to do some serious photography. I favor the second for the over all tonality and that wonderful 32 second sky. Looks like the red filter did the trick although you are correct, the dark steel doesn't respond as well as you might like. You might try a medium orange. I find it has less serve effects on the low tones and still gives that dark sky/bright cloud effect.