Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cypress in Fog

Cypress in Fog

Stunning! A wonderfully atmospheric photograph, it could be a scene from a Harry Potter story, The exposure appears to be absolutly spot on. and it's compositionaly almost perfect, but you should have waited for a Unicorn to wander under the tree. .

Cypress in Fog

nice work

Cypress in Fog

thanks all -- novice that I am, i appreciate the comments and encouragement very much!

earl: yes, I do have sight lines on top and side of the camera so I can get a general idea of what will be on film, but I still find predicting the manner in which it will be recorded hard to predict: it always looks so different than what I thought I was shooting! I suspect that that will gradually become less of an issue in that I'll begin to be able to translate the scene in front of me into a better idea of what the camera sees as I get more experience. At least, I hope it will be so, because right now each exposure feels like an adventure / crapshoot!

jzall: i'm glad it gives that sense, as that is precisely what it is. This tree is one of a whole line of cypresses that are on a slope overlooking a steep hillside that runs straight down to the Pacific Ocean. They all lean back at moderate to extreme angles because of the constant and often powerful winds that push up the slope. However, the direction of the wind is not what it appears to be in the photo: it comes from the left (where all the branches are), not the right :-)

Mark: I waited as long as I could, but the fog was relentlessly pushing the cold under my jacket, so I finally made the exposure without the unicorn. I suppose I could photoshop one in though!

Cypress in Fog

This is a wonderful, great picture, very dynamic. Very well done.

Cypress in Fog

Kudos on a wonderful image. They come much better than this.
    Print it, frame it, hang it!
    ...and shoot some more.

Cypress in Fog

Yeah, so that I can look at them twice! 8) 8)

Cypress in Fog

Quote Originally Posted by 526
    They come much better than this.
    Obviously some words failed me. What I intended to say was 'They DON'T come much better than this!'
    Mark

Cypress in Fog

thanks rene, delio, and mark

i did indeed spend a good part of yesterday working with the full-res image for printing. (I usually scan things at low res once -- a digital 'contact sheet' if you will -- and that's what i post on flckr and here, so when there's an image i want to really print, that means re-scanning.) quite amazing how big the files for LF get ... a couple of layers and whatnot and they get large fast.

mark: i understood ... I am fluent in typo!

Cypress in Fog

I always think fog is a wonderful addition to a good photo. This is a perfect example of that.

Cypress in Fog

Absolutely incredibly wonderful... Looks like the tree is a dancing, writhing, swaying creature. :-)
    Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast