Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lava at Volcano Nat'l Park

Lava at Volcano Nat'l Park

This was taken just before sunset, after the sun was way on the other side of the volacano on the Big Island, November, 2005
    6X12(cm) ISO100UltraColor Negative film, f200, exp. ~6 min.
    I don't know the name of this type of lava, but it's one that I like. We were on our way out across the lava flows at the end of the road. A day earlier a 30 acre chunk of lava had fallen into the ocean. We were looking for active lava and after walking in over old lava flows a couple of miles after sunset it got dark enough for us to see bits of red way off in the distance. That was about when I discovered the batteries had been drained out of my headlamp. Sigh... Attached files

Wow. That stuff is amazing. Living rock.

Wow is right.

This reminds me of a etching about Dante's Inferno, the twisted barley recognizable imagery of souls in torment.

The small splash of red adds greatly to the image.

writhing rock, but still i walk away with a sense of tranquility. minimal compositions, extreme clarity, the hallmarks of your photos.

wow!!! amazing shot

Nice! Great texture & detail.

interesting... looks like something out of an Alien film

''Dante's Inferno'' indeed !

fantastic - thanks for sharing !

Thanks again for all your kind comments. I do indeed look for simple compositions and had the luck to find a pin that pierced coke can aluminum to a diameter that allows my light tight box to capture the occational image with reasonable clarity. And then there's Photoshop. Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by DVZ
    I don't know the name of this type of lava, but it's one that I like.
    You'd have to ask a Hawaiian to be certain, but that looks like what the visitor education plaques back at Craters of the Moon (from when I was a little kid in Idaho) called "pahoehoe" or "ropy lava". Formed when a still-flexible crust covers very fluid lava and gets folded and twisted by the movement, IIRC.

Very photogenic stuff, if you can get close to it, though I think I prefer the stuff that's been sitting for a few thousand years to what's still hot to the touch... Eeek!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast