Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printing on Pictorico Ultra Premium OHP

Printing on Pictorico Ultra Premium OHP

Gasp!!!!

Well, I think you've figured it out, Roy! This is gorgeous! Thank you for posting it. Stunning! Will you make a lith print?

Ahem, I think I'll just slink off into lurkdom again

You picked a good image to start with, your curve shouldn't be too extreme to get the contrast under control, keep at it.

I've now had the opportunity to produce a few more digital negatives and also some lith prints from them.
    I've managed to get a copy of Dan Burkholder's 1999 book from the US, 'Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing' and also bought his 'Inkjet Negative Companion' download. I have not yet had a chance to follow his workflow, so my initial experiments have been based on Dr Mike Ware's method.

I made a lith print from the same digital neg used for the straight print example shown above and - while it has a certain appeal - the contrast level is a bit high. This first result was printed on Fomatone MG FB with filtration set for Grade 2, processed in Ansco 70 developer (1+1)+9, developed for 7 mins at 25 deg C.

I then tried a print from the same negative using enlarger filtration set to Grade 00 (via my DeVere Dichroic head)

This print, also on Fomatone MG FB (as are all the others shown here), was developed for 10 mins and subsequently toned with gold over selenium. This is closer to the effect that was was after, but this negative is hard work!

So I made some new negatives, all from digital originals, following the basic procedure documented by Mike Ware, and produced lith prints from them.

Processed for 5 mins, subsequently split-toned with selenium.

A bit dark. The subject will, I think, produce a better result than this.

Possibly the most successful so far from the 'fulfilling intention' perspective. Toned with gold over light selenium.
    This is still a little too heavy and contrasty, but I think that's mainly because I need to refine the negative production technique and partly because I'm not using the best developer (Ansco 70 is a home-formulated developer that is lacking the true lith properties of something like Kodalith, no longer available of course.)

The Fomatone paper is recognised to be one of the best around for lith work however, and I've ordered some Fotospeed LD-20 lith developer to try with it next.

I've also refined the process for making the negative using Lightroom & Photoshop CS4, using ideas gleaned from both Dan Burkholder and Mike Ware. Early results look very promising - watch this space!

Your results look very promising.

I have to agree, these keep getting better, you just need to get your contrast under control in the negative and you are home free.

Helping to create great first impressions. "Putting together an important presentation? Pictorico's OHP Transparency Film delivers crisp, easy-to-read text, brilliant, non-smear colors, and water-resistant images that enhance your visual display.

Thanks for the great post

Really the post was very helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12