Thread: Under the Bridge

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Under the Bridge

Here is yesterday's salted paper print. The image has been shown on f295 before. It is the structure under the Rock Island Swing Bridge between Inver Grove Heights and St. Paul Park on the Mississippi River. From a scan of the 4x5 negative, I created a digital negative on my hp deskjet 940c and printed the image at 8"x10". The paper is Arches Aquarelle Grain Satine (hot pressed), 140 lb (300 gsm). I did not size at all. Salting solution is sodium chloride and sodium citrate, sensitizer is 12% silver nitrate, both applied with a glass rod. Exposure was on the Nuarc 3K plate burner at 75 units. The print was very lightly toned in gold thiourea toner.

Attached files

Under the Bridge

I think that is one of the best yet Earl. It has a tangible depth to it and a wonderful range in the tones. How many different methods of printing has this one seen now?

Blog Entries

Under the Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by 1253
    . . . How many different methods of printing has this one seen now?
    Actually, Marv, this is the first keeper print. I have not printed this one in silver gelatin. I have rendered it in carbon several times, but I have yet to make one that meets my personal vision of what this print can offer. Salted paper gives a tonal scale that is similar to carbon, so I can use the same curve in Photoshop for both processes. I can't use the same negative, however, as carbon is a transfer process, and involves flipping the image over after exposure.

Under the Bridge

Well, if you are saying that this is a test print then the finished one will be something worth waiting for.

Blog Entries

Under the Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by 356
    Well, if you are saying that this is a test print then the finished one will be something worth waiting for.
    David:

This is not a test print - it is a keeper salted paper print. I have yet to make the definitive carbon print. That will be pure carbon black, unlike this lovely purplish sepia (the scan does not render the color perfectly). This print will be a Christmas present for one of my daughters who asked me for one of my pinhole pictures for her apartment wall.

I am working in carbon and salted paper at the same time for several reasons. First, my carbon successes are so few and far between that I feel the need to make a nice one now and then. Secondly, the two processes require about the same tonal scale, so it is easy to make the printing negatives at the same time. And third, the look and feel of these two printing processes are miles apart. It is helpful for me to compare the glossy, sharp edged, blacker than black carbon image with the matte, paper-influenced, silver chloride tonality of the salted paper print, using the same image for both.

Under the Bridge

scrumptious! i hope this one is hanging on your wall somewhere, earl!

Blog Entries

Under the Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by 1135
    scrumptious! i hope this one is hanging on your wall somewhere, earl!
    Thanks, Kevin:

The definitive salted paper print is on my daughter's wall at her apartment in Madison, WI. I have yet to make the perfect carbon version, though I came close last night. This alt process printing business is not an exact science . . .

Under the Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by 560
    This alt process printing business is not an exact science . . .
    Ain't that the truth! Especially when one is working with such a difficult process as carbon, like you are. I can't even imagine.

Seeing your salt print gives me the itch to pick up where I left off experimenting with salt printing last summer. Unfortunately, intensive writing the last 6-8 months really took me away from daily photography and now that it's winter there's just not enough UV light outside to even try. (UV index has been in the 1-2 range lately.) *sigh*