Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Home made Large Format camera

First Home made Large Format camera

Greetings,

since i have been doing pinholes for quite some time now , I got interested in large format/primitive lens photography, and this is what I came up with. The camera is still not finished, u can see the tape holding the ground glass in place so I need to figure out hot to make a spring operated ground glass holder. But until then my experiments are limited to the darkroom use. The camera lens is made from an old Meopta enlarger condensor lens. For changing apertures I use different holes in black foambord cards that fit in to a slot on the top of the camera. This is my first lens based camera and I learned a lot from it, the next one will probably be more practicle and easy to use..

The bellows caused too many problems I hope I won't be making them for a long long time.

Thank you.

elvis

Attached files

Another wiev...

Attached files

Foamcore shutter and aperture...

Attached files

First shot made with this camera, exposure about 49sec. aperture: Unknown ( I still didn't get into calculating apertures...

Attached files

Second exposure 40seconds...

Attached files

Third exposure...afterparty

Attached files

A bit over exoposed...

Attached files

First portrait 50 seconds exposure time...

Attached files

And the second portrait, allso 50sec. exposure, but from a wider angle and a bit out of focus on the head.

This would be all from me for now, any comments, suggestions or questions are more than wellcome. ( Especially on the ground glass holder issue ).

Good light.

Attached files

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Elvis (that is your name, is it not?) -

That is a wonderful camera. Have you looked at any large view camera backs with a spring-loaded ground glass? I think that in your case, it depends on the type of film holder that you are using. Are your film holders standard, or are they home made by you? I have an old (100 years) wooden 8x10 inch camera back that I built a camera around. It has a spring-loaded holder that accepts standard 8x10 film holders. I can send you photos of the back if you like. You should be able to find lots of pictures of view cameras on the internet that can give you ideas. I have seen the steel tines of lawn rakes used as springs for camera backs. I have thought of using the spring steel that I get in picture frame kits for the same purpose.

Now that you have a platform, you will find yourself collecting lenses - just about anything will form an image, and with old barrel lenses, a hat or a piece of foamcore works just fine as a shutter.

Thanks for posting - this is inspirational. Time for me to break out my 8x10 and get it back in working order.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast