Thread: Dots on prints?

Dots on prints?

hi@all,

i have got some problems with dots on my first salt prints...

That`s what i did:

soaked the paper in a 2% gelatine solution for 2 minutes
    dry
    ionized the dry paper with a 2% salt solution
    dry
    senzitized the paper with 12% silver solution
    dry
    expose
    wash in 1% citric acid (2 times)
    fix&wash

for coating the salt and silver a used a pipette to put some drops of the solution on the paper and then i used a glass rod to coat the whole paper. As you can ee on the picture everything went fine, exept that i still can see the initial drops.

any idea how to avoid this? (i do not want to float the paper in the silver solution)

phil

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Dots on prints?

Phil:

Have you read Mike Ware's instructions on coating with a glass rod: http://www.mikeware.co.uk/mikeware/preparations.html. I use a small plastic syringe to apply a bead of sensitizer in front of the glass rod. The solution is always applied to the paper outside of the image area. I then pull the solution across with the glass rod until it is past the image area on the other side. Then I 'jump' the rod over the line of sensitizer, and pull the rod back to where it started. I like to have enough sensitizer that it takes 5 passes to use it all up - that gives me a very even coat.

Another thing that you can do is to dissolve the salt in your gelatin. Then you don't have to coat the salt solution with the rod - just let the gelatin/salting solution dry and then coat the silver nitrate.

It looks like you are on the right track - keep it up and let us know how it comes out!

Dots on prints?

many thanks for the link!
    It`s getting better, but even rome was not built in one day...

phil